Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 10 posts 30 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 14:37
    Mark

Members: List / search on front end - Indexing / searching

Hi There,

I have used the following code to set up a listing of members from a specific group on the front end of our website:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/code-snippets/getmembersbygroupname

It is working OK, but I have concerns about the efficiency of the processes involved. I have used the above code to return the member set and then use xpaths to filter the data futher before displaying on the site (website users have various options such as categories, locations etc to filter the list)

There are only 500 or so members, but it is running very slowly on our develpment site (partially because it is a faily low level server by today's standards) but if I was to implement the same sort of search using a "normal" sql architecture with indexes etc it would be instant.

I do not have a great knowledge of the underlying data and program structure of Umbraco but is it possible to index or cache the data so that this search is efficient?

Please could you supply thoughts / explaination of the processes and efficinecy.

Thanks.

Mar 09, 2011 @ 17:36
    Mark

Anyone got any ideas??

• Richard Soeteman 4036 posts 12863 karma points MVP
    Mar 09, 2011 @ 20:21
    Richard Soeteman

Take a look at the source of NForum. I know Lee implemented a SQL mechanism to retrieve the properties in a fast way.

Cheers,

Richard

Mar 10, 2011 @ 18:36
    Mark

Thanks for this, the SQL is great, and I have been able to adapt this into some SQL queries that will return specified member properties in a "normal" table format ie. with columns that relate to the data eg.

id  name  col3
    1   fred    somevalue
    2   John  someothervalue

Do you have any good examples as to how this could easily be converted from an SQL query to XML to be used via the XSLT that I already have from the getmembersbygroupname code.

Or alternativley an easy way to convert the sql query so that the results can be included in the site via a macro?

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft