Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 18:21
    dillorscroft

Import from CSV file on server

I've got a requirement to import pages and subsequently associated images from a CSV file uplaoded on to the server.  This is the only way the content can be put on the site.  I can't use CMS Import for insance.  

The site is a propery site where a csv file full of property details are FTP'd to the site alongside a load of images.

My question really is can I use a scheduled task to run a page to start the process of importing?  I've no problem with the code to do the import just the instigation of the process.

Would it be better to create a service executable that calls a web service?

Just after a bit of advice really.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 21:43
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Matt,

Think this is possible with CMSImport Pro. You can point to an url, which can be the file you uploaded using FTP. Then you can import the file. And since the 1.1 release if CMSImport images will be picked up also if they can be found in your Umbraco install.

Then you can use the build in scheduler which can execute the import at the given day/time. Since version 1.2 this is more robust. When your site is down for whatever reason(app recycle, long time no visitors etc) at the scheduled time. It will execute when your site is back up.

All is being documented which can be found at http://www.cmsimport.com/documentation.aspx

Hope this helps you a bit and please let me know if you need more info or have additional question.

Cheers,

Richard

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:48
    dillorscroft

Thanks Richard I will look into this today.   I really struggle to understand the scheduling system in Umbraco.  Can't quite figure out how it operates if the admin interface is not open in a browser.  Am I being a little naive?

Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:55
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Matt,

It's operating on a background threat which works when the appilication pool is alive. The CmsImport Scheduled task functionality is build on top of that.

Cheers,

Richard

• Jay 409 posts 635 karma points
    Jul 18, 2017 @ 09:33
    Jay

Hey Richard,

Can CMS import works with FTP file with login credentials?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017 @ 09:35
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

No it needs an http(s) url.. It can work with login credentials.

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft