Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fernando Susena 6 posts 56 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 15:01
    Fernando Susena

Performance impact when having unused modules?

Hi Everyone, I am fairly new to Umbrco so I hope this question does not look too "Newbie".

I will implement an umbraco site with many modules (most with their respective DLLs), like image gallery, imagegen, blog, forum, contact form, uControls, newsletter, etc.

But the client will initially use 1 or 2 of the 10 or 15+ modules I will inittially install and then expand module usage accordingly to his needs.

My question is: Will unused (but active & available) modules cause an undesired performance impact on my server, even if they are currently not in use, do modules only use resources when they are in use?

Thanks!

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 23, 2011 @ 17:37
    Tim

It depends on what the module is. If you install blog4umbraco but don't set up a blog, then it won't use up any resources. Same for ImageGen, that only uses resources when it's actually used. This should be the case for most extensions where it's something for the front end, like galleries/blogs etc.

The kind of packages that DO use resources, even if you've not using them, are ones that have event handlers, as they'll be plugged into the event system, and be attached to events, even if they're not doing anything (so they'll be using a bit of memory). That said, they shouldn't really adversely impact on the server, as most umbraco packages only use a tiny amount of resources.

We run sites with 20+ packages and additional custom functionality that we've writen in-house, with no noticeable impact.

Hope that helps!

:)

Mar 23, 2011 @ 21:16
    Fernando Susena

Thanks Tim! you have answered my question :).

Can you please give me an example of a module that uses Event Handlers to clarify a little (I'm not a Dev, But a designer, so ASP.NET and Umbraco Clockwork are kind of a "black box" to me :)

Thank you very much!

Mar 23, 2011 @ 21:16
    Fernando Susena

Thanks Tim! you have answered my question :).

Can you please give me an example of a module that uses Event Handlers to clarify a little (I'm not a Dev, But a designer, so ASP.NET and Umbraco Clockwork are kind of a "black box" to me :)

Thank you very much!

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:05
    Tim

Hiya,

Sorry, I've been away! An example of one of the packages that uses Event Handlers would be AutoSort or DateFolders. They both use event handlers to pick up the document publish event to sort / folder published pages.

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft