Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Johansson 9 posts 30 karma points
    Mar 27, 2011 @ 22:38
    Robert Johansson

Members and Facebook

Hi,

We are creating a large community with forums (Custom built), reviews (Custom build), facebook comments and other social functions.

I know how to work with members and facebook authentication but I don't really see best practise with these two together.

We'll have two ways of authentication, Facebook and regular Umbraco Membership Provider.

I'm thinking of always creating a member, even though the user are signed in through Facebook and then save the facebook ID as a property to the member. 

What do you think? What is the best architecture?

• Christian Palm 277 posts 272 karma points
    Mar 27, 2011 @ 23:17
    Christian Palm

Yes you should create a member even though the user are signing in through facebook. Then you can store extra data about the user and use the normal member features.

This is how I do it:

1. Login through facebook

2. Create the member (if not already created), save email and facebook user id

3. Login the created member via normal asp.net membership provider (Umbraco membership provider)

You could optionaly use Janrain Engage http://www.janrain.com/products/engage
    We use Janrain Engage with facebook, google account, Linked-id with umbraco on www.invia.nu

You try the login there

• Robert Johansson 9 posts 30 karma points
    Mar 27, 2011 @ 23:59
    Robert Johansson

Great! That seems like what I want.

• fedar 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 17:07
    fedar

Hi

Could you share simple ways like we did?
    I find it interesting and appropriate for the site I'm developing

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft