Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Mar 28, 2011 @ 23:50
    rasb

Umbraco and Backupify

Hi guys,

I know the answer already ;-) No there is no support!

I have just found a cool service called Backupify, that can backup just about anything. 

Has anyone thought about making it possible to have an Umbraco site be backed up by Backupify? They have support for Wordpress blogs, so you can backup a Wordpress blog nightly. I am thinking that it would be possible to do something similar for an Umbraco site.

By exposing the nodes, and the images on a site one could create a backup of an umbraco site. The same interface should then make it possible to create or update nodes, so you could easily restore your nodes from Backupify.

Would that be enough though? What items would one need to backup in order to backup an Umbraco site?

/RasB

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 06:28
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

I have thought about a backup service in the past, might be intersting to use Backupify or any other service. The backup of the site should be dead simple, just copy over the files and your done. The problem is that you need to backup the database also and since that is mostly on another server you need to setup something that stores the db on a disk that can be accessed by the webserver.

But when the idea ever gets revisited I will checkout Backupify for sure

Cheers,

Richard

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 13:49
    rasb

Hi,

I am entertaining the idea a little more now. So I would like some input on how to do this if anyone has any ideas.

If I were to do this, what would I have to back up, and how? The more I can back up as Xml or maybe even Json the better.

1. Content
      My thought on this is that I would back up each node as Xml, that way backing up all properties. This will back up all nodes, active and inactive.
      Doing it this way, there should be no need for direct access to the database.

2. Media
      File copy of each media file.

3. Users
      Hoping this could be done using Xml as well. Not sure how yet.

4. Members
      Hoping this could be done using Xml as well. Not sure how yet.

5. Binaries
      Backup of all binaries that are not on a "blacklist". By default there should be need to backup any of the default content provided with the installation.

6. Settings tab
      All the stylesheets, templates, scripts, document types etc. These should be file simple file copy.

7. Developer tab
      This is a bit more tricky. Most of this is simply file backup. But the macroes, data types etc. might be Xml content?

8. Usercontrols
      File backup of entire folder, possibly also some references to recreate the user controls.

9. Packages
      Should we also backup the packages installed. I think it might be a good idea, but how do we do it?
    The way I see a package like this working would be to provide a single point of entry for Backupify to pull a list of objects available for backup. Each object would have a hash and a canonical url to allow Backupify to uniquely identify the object and determine if it has changed since last backup.

Then Backupify would just fetch all the objects that were new or changed from the respictive canonical url, which would be something like http://www.example.com/_backupify/.

For backups a simple password protected HTTP Get command would fetch the content, and for a restore a simple
    HTTP Put command would restore it again.

The list of objects would of course also contain some extra metadata to easily identify the objects.

Am I making this too complex? Can it be done much more simple? Is there anything else that needs backing up?

Are there major differences in the approach between version 4.x and 5.x?

/RasB

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft