Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom W 39 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 15:02
    Tom W

Umbraco + eCommerce = My Perfect CMS

Hi,

Firstly, please note that I have read the other posts regarding eCommerce, but wanted to add my tuppence worth and see what the community has to say.

We've been using Umbraco as our preferred CMS for almost a year now, having shelved our proprietary system in favour of a product with an excellent track record, flexible implementation (we have pushed it to its limits and it's coped, very well!) and great performance. There's just one thing missing from our "old" CMS... a free, open source, plug-and-play commerce "package". Having written most of our original system (with more than a little help from my friends) I understand the challenges involved, but surely it's nothing that a bunch of like-minded, enthusiastic and experienced developers can't overcome?

I've been keeping an eye on the commercial offerings for "eCommerce for Umbraco" of late (uCommerce, uWebShop (aka SSWS) and TeaCommerce to name a few) and without meaning to cause any offence to these developer teams, does nobody have the appetite for an open source implementation? After all, that's what makes Umbraco such an amazing product. While some of these are more keenly priced than others, spending $/£/E for every implementation is far from ideal. Not to say that my company won't use them in future, but with open source commerce, Umbraco could really rival the LAMP community's offerings.

If there is a desire for this amongst the superb Umbraco community, maybe we should get our virtual heads together and see what we can do to get something like http://commerce4umbraco.codeplex.com up and running again?

Cheers,

Tom

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 19:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

As I understand it, Paul Sterling (who started commerce4umbraco) has given the code to Jason Prothero and it is being actively developed. There should be a version ready in June as it is on the CodeGarden sessions list: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/2/28/codegarden11-our-first-confirmed-session

Other than that Matt Brailsford has done a session on integrating NopCommerce into Umbraco.

I have to say though, that both solutions build upon existing open source .net commerce solutions and are not pure Umbraco solutions, so you will have to learn a new system as well.

uWebshop/TeaCommerce are actually built from within Umbraco so all of the concepts are completely Umbraco-esque. I don't think the costs of especially uWebshop (€99) should be prohibitive at all.

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Apr 04, 2011 @ 12:30
    Anders Burla

Hi Tom

Welcome in the Umbraco community. As an active developer in the Tea Commerce product its always interesting to see what people thing about ecommerce on the umbraco platform. I think it would be great with an open source ecommerce package for umbraco and hope that people will join forces to create one. The reason why Tea Commerce is commercial ( but still in the low-end budget I think - 349€ ), is that we have used a LOT of time in developing the package and also doing support on the product.

There is a great deal of support when having an ecommerce package. Both on stuff that people need help with and also people want to know if your package can solve different customer cases. All this support is free at the moment and so is the upgrades of Tea Commerce.

If you have any specific idea of how Tea Commerce could be open source but still be a business for us it would be great to hear your thoughts and ideas. And if you attend CodeGarden 11 we can have a talk about it. It would be that the license was cheaper but support would cost. Or we could make Tea Commerce courses for developers to learn Tea Commerce.

If you need more info about Tea Commerce or want to contact me you can find the info here - http://www.teacommerce.dk

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Apr 25, 2011 @ 18:22
    Jason Prothero

Tom,

I'm definitely up for some help on Commerce 4 Umbraco! 

Currently, I'm getting a demo site ready to go to get people up and running on it.  Then an install is next on the list. Let me know if you want to get your hands on the demo site to take a look.

Thanks,
    Jason

• Tom W 39 posts 96 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 10:55
    Tom W

Hi Jason,

Sorry it's taken me such a long time to get back to you. I would love to see a demo site if possible? I plan on evaluating all of the commerce options for Umbraco over the next few weeks. I will certainly download the beta http://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/commerce-for-umbraco and if there is anything else worth looking at, please let me know!

Cheers,

Tom

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 17:43
    Jason Prothero

Tom,

Actually, I would just download the starter kit I setup here: http://www.proworks.com/blog/2011/06/12/commerce-for-umbraco-sample-site-and-starter-kit/ ;

That will get you testing and up to speed faster than the install on Our Umbraco.

Thanks,

Jason

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft