Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Brännmark 226 posts 277 karma points
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 22:16
    Anders Brännmark

Examine, search thru a number of index fields, combine into one index field instead?

I'm building a custom search with Examine and now I need to "free text" search thru a number of index fields.

If a user searches for "test" and "item" the search need to search all index fields and match both search terms across the fields. Doing this with code seams messy so I thought of defining a custom index field that combines all the needed index fields into one using the GatheringNodeData event.

Any input? Is the combined index field a bad idea? Need to combine 8-10 index field into one to achive this. The site is going to have around 7000-8000 content items thats going to be indexed if that makes any diff for avoiding the combined index field...

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 10:10
    Ismail Mayat

Anders,

The lucene in action book recommends one combined field also the old umbSearch used to have combined field as well as separate fields. In all my examine indexes i also have one combined field but also have the separate fields i do the search on the combined have it running on a site with couple thousand nodes including pdf content index injected in (this was before the latest examine which allows cross index searching so i did a fudge of injecting pdf content from content index into my content index) see http://www.fairbairnpb.com/

Regards

Ismail

• Anders Brännmark 226 posts 277 karma points
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 10:32
    Anders Brännmark

I was planning on keeping the orginal fields also so one can search specificly against them also. Thanks for you input Ismail, a combined field and keeping the orginals it will be.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft