Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ricardo Covo 13 posts 33 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 21:21
    Ricardo Covo

Member class deprecated... How to update member properties then?

Hello,

I've follow some of the articles about creating custom registrations and is all working perfectly. However, I am getting a deprecated warning on this call:

Member member = Member.GetMemberFromLoginName(txtEmailAddress.Text.Trim());

It tells me I should use the ASP Membership provider call instead, which is fine, but then how would I update my Member properties? I am currently updating them like this:

member.getProperty(“[PropertyName]”).Value = [PropertyValue];

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ricardo

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 20, 2011 @ 00:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ricardo

Perhaps you can find the answer in this blogpost by Aaron Powell where he's explaining how to get and set properties in the member section of Umbraco 4.x

http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles

Hope this helps.

/Jan

May 20, 2011 @ 04:56
    Ricardo Covo

Awesome. Exactly what I needed.

Thanks!

-Ricardo

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    May 20, 2011 @ 11:07
    Rob Watkins

The trouble with deprecating the old Member classes is that they actually provide a very convenient basic wrapper for the ASP.NET stuff, which you'd have to write yourself anyway for any useful member system on a medium sized site; for example, having to change the web.config every time you add a new property to a Member is really unwieldy.

What I have ended up having to do is create a wrapper myself that currently wraps the Umbraco Member wrapper, so if the deprecation becomes removal I can just fix my wrapper - but this seems a bit like overkill to me! 

It's neat having everything tied into the ASP.NET, but the fact that the web.config requirements spoil Umbraco's wonderful dynamic property system is deeply irritating.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    May 20, 2011 @ 12:00
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Ricardo,

I completely agree with Rob. In fact CMSImport still uses the deprecated classes (they are still functional). One other thing that you can't do with the asp.net profile provider is to set the Member.Text property which is displayed in the back-end .

Cheers,

Richard

May 20, 2011 @ 15:04
    Ricardo Covo

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft