Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• LeaUK 34 posts 55 karma points
    May 21, 2011 @ 11:00
    LeaUK

Windows Live Writer - Server Error 0 Occurred

Hi All

Using Umbraco 4.7 and WLW 14.0.8117.416

Are there any up to date install guides for WLW as I can't seem to find any.

Followed this http://www.nibble.be/?p=13 but not sure what to enter in the Description/Catagory fields.

WLW connects fine but on publish fails with Server Error 0 -  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Also, in WLW  if I switch between Preview and Edit I get 'You may have problems with editing content using the theme.....' 'switch back to editing without the theme'

Any pointers (excuse the pun) are really appreciated.

Cheers

Lea

• LeaUK 34 posts 55 karma points
    May 22, 2011 @ 15:37
    LeaUK

No one?  :( 

• Michael Proctor 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 06:20
    Michael Proctor

Your not alone mate...

Only just getting started and already thinking I should reconsider and look at other CMS's, just seems a bit "unpolished" if you ask me.

OK so the crux of it is this, don't put anything for Category or Excerpt, set the Description to bodyText as per that blog post.

The auto theme generation won't work straight up as you will find that the "Home URL" is http://yoursite.com/yoursite.com/ which for some reason seems to be what the channels.aspx passes back to Live Writer.

So now you have to go into the registry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Writer\Weblogs, pick the GUID which is your new blog account, and change the HomepageUrl Key to be the correct url.

NOW you can go back into the account settings then goto the Editing section and click Update Theme, Live Writer will now post an entry and then be able to use the correct URL to be able to pick it up.

Now you should also be able to post from Live Writer.

A couple of things though, the Categories don't work, nor do I understand where the categories would come from in the first place.

Even though the Blog may have "keywords" the MetaWeblog service hasn't reported to Live Writer that it supports keywords.

Excerpt feature is also reported as not supported, however it is supported out of the box, so for some reason the "MetaWeblog" service hasn't been maintained or isn't customisable enough.

But at least you can blog the basics :D

Would love to know from the smarter people out there what is happening however

• Michael Proctor 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 06:22
    Michael Proctor

[DUPLICATE: Website crashed when I first posted]

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft