Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fran Hoey 15 posts 27 karma points
    Jan 01, 2009 @ 12:11
    Fran Hoey

Job advert and application functionality

I've been using umbraco for a few months and love it for simple websites. However, a client has asked for something a bit more and I'd like some advice on the best way to do it. Just point me in the right direction

Requirements: To advertise jobs and store online applications. The application form is extensive and needs to cover several pages (and be printable to admin users)

Solution 1: My first instinct is to use user controls and the umbraco database. The admin section to the jobs would be protected by username and password on the website (not umbraco admin), hopefully using the umbraco membership functionality.

Solution 2: I'm not even sure if this is possible. Use the form controls and event handlers in a similar way to the blog. I.e. Job adverts are created as a page with a linked form. When the user fills in the form the data is stored as a sub page to the job advert (each page of the form becomes a sub page to the previous page). I'm still not sure how to display the data to the admin user in a printable format.

Any ideas?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 01, 2009 @ 14:17
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

I'm dealing with a project in the near future that needs similar functionality. I choose option 1. The form you are building contains a lot of business logic that's why I prefer Usercontrols over doc2form. Also I need to have some follow up actions when a person applies for a job, so I need a database anyway. For the Admin I have a different page with a usercontrol that lists the data.

Solution 2 is possible. You need to set security on the document when the document is gets saved, so you need to attach an event handler for that . For the print version you can use an alternative template or use a css stylesheet.

Hope this pointed you in the right direction.

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft