Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobby B. 9 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 05, 2009 @ 16:50
    Bobby B.

Large File Uploads for End Users

Hey Everyone!

So far I've used Umbraco to set up basic content sites. I have a need now where I need to build a client an online repository for large files. I need visitors to be able to come to the site, upload a few large files with some kind of maybe Flash component as well as submit a few fields text information.

I also need my clients' employees to be able to login to another section to download and manage these files. I don't want to give them access to the adminstration side.

So my question is has anyone done anything like this? I'm basically contemplating building this from scratch or using Umbraco. It all comes down to what takes me less time. I know i can build it from scratch pretty efficiently, but I'm not sure where I would start with it in Umbraco. Maybe a user control to do the upload, but then also providing a page where employees can login and manage the uploads I don't know how I would do that.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Bobby B.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 09:00
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

I would still prefer to use the umbraco admin backend for managing the uploads by the client's employees. And what exactly is meant by 'managing the uploads'?

Here's what I would do in this case:

-Create a specific page/user control for users to upload files to the media section. You'll have to take care of the programming to store the files in the media section!

-Create as many users as required and only allow them to access the media section, or even a specific section within the media section to manage the uploads. Alternatively, one could create a dashboard control as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 17:55
    alimac

I think you'll want to take a look at this to increase the file upload limit: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/6017-Media-file-size-limit

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft