Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 16:08
    Dan Evans

Lucene search problem

I have had Lucene search working on my site for a while but it's stopped returning results with the error:

ERROR: System error.

And sometimes:
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Sites\britishlegion.org.uk\data\umbSearch\segments'.

The index itself builds fine but as soon as i search for something this error happens and the index is then locked so if a rebuild is attempted this error occurs:

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Sites\data\umbSearch\index_1e7.cfs' because it is being used by another process.

I thought it must be a permissions issue but i've given full control to the data directory to "everyone" as a test and the problem is still occuring.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 17:25
    Tommy Poulsen

Are you running v4RC ? I wonder if this is similar to what I experience , because lucene access problems also appear in my log (http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostst7476After-installing-v4rc-with-boost-No-pages-found-appears.aspx)

Tommy

Jan 06, 2009 @ 17:31
    Dan Evans

No i'm running 3.0.5. I've actually just worked it out. I imported 2000 nodes recently. It appears that the sheer quantity of nodes has caused Lucene to fall over. The actual error was "TooManyClauses". I have now set Lucene to exclude this node type and it works again. However it's not a permanent solution as i need to search these nodes.

D

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 14:53
    Ismail Mayat

danimal,

Have you tried rebuilding the whole index?

Regards

Ismail

Jan 07, 2009 @ 15:17
    Dan Evans

I have rebuilt it numerous times. The problem occurs on searching not on building. The only solution i can find other than to reduce the number of nodes searched is to amend the code in umbSearchControl.ascx.cs:

[code]

//add this line
    BooleanQuery.maxClauseCount = 100000;
    //above this line
    IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(businessLogic.Settings.IndexDirectory);
    [/code]

The figure 10000 is an arbitary number higher than the number of nodes to be searched. I have no idea why this works as the error refers to the search query not the search itself.

Any ideas?

Dan

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2009 @ 10:39
    Ismail Mayat

danimal,

i have come across this issue before when doing simliarity queries and the source document was too big but since your just doing standard search you should not be getting to many clauses error.

Might be worth adding the nodes again rebuild the index then try searching with luke and then looking at what you have in the index.

Regards

Ismial

Jan 08, 2009 @ 11:14
    Dan Evans

I don't really want to delete and add all those nodes again. I think i'll pay heed to your footer "If it aint broke dont fix" given that my code amend has fixed the problem for now.

There is another thread on here with the same issue...

http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostst6489error-TooManyClauses-System-error.aspx

Thanks

Dan

• Bart 5 posts 20 karma points
    Feb 25, 2009 @ 15:26
    Bart

hi,

i'm having a similar problem with my indexing.

this is the line where the error occurs
    IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(Settings.IndexDirectory, new StandardAnalyzer(), true);

error
    The process cannot access the file 'E:\umbraco\data\umbSearch\index_17.cfs' because it is being used by another process.

the first time is works fine but the second time i get the error.
    i have to end the aspnetwp.exe process then i can reindex again.
    I am using the umbracoExtsearch
    [url]http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf
    postst5079p6_Getting-search-to-work--Heres-how-to-do-it.aspx[/url]

any suggestions for fixing this problem?

Thanks,
    Bart

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft