Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• yann 13 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 09:54
    yann

Custom MembershipProvider and members on the tree

Hi

I have created a custom membership provider (.net) and role provider. it seems to be working fine:
    If I do "Right clik" on a content page and select "public access" I can see my roles. Also putting some break point in the membership provider I can see that my function GetUser is hit... However, my issue is that the Member Folder tree is still showing the old members (before my custom provider), and I cant seems to get my new members to appear...

Could seomone point me to the right direction on what to check...

Thanks you very much for any help 

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:20
    Dirk De Grave

yann,

i'm pretty sure the member section won't work if you're not using the "default" umbraco membership provider...

Cheers,

/Dirk

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:26
    skiltz

Dirk is correct (nothing surprising there).  Your best bet is to create a custom section in the Umbraco back office and build your Membership maintenance screens there.

• yann 13 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:24
    yann

Thank you for the reply, I will build the new section and have the membership management there.

Cheers 

• Eric Herlitz 97 posts 129 karma points
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 21:31
    Eric Herlitz

This bugs me a lot.

If I implement a membership provider that inherits from the MembershipProvider class and have all methods implemented why would this not be compatible with the Umbraco standard umbraco membership management?

• Manos Gatsios 21 posts 41 karma points
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 16:25
    Manos Gatsios

At version 6.0.3 by now and my custom membership provider breaks the Members section as Dirk already predicted almost 2 years back !!!

From Umbraco 4 onwards the core team moved to the standard Microsoft membership provider scheme exactly for the purpose of standardising things but unfortunately Umbraco is using its own membership provider in a legacy manner, or as it seems doing something else very peculiar !!!

The whole idea of a web.config file is to plug modules in and out of the application, without the application knowing the details of your intentions (simply by agreeing on interfaces). Are there any plans to fix this ...or we really have to create our own members section?

Thanx for listening!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft