Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Antony Briggs 78 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 06, 2009 @ 12:29
    Antony Briggs

Best practice for Membership Implementation

Hello,

I'm starting my first Umbraco project which involves creating a members-only area of the site which basically has member-specific content.

Can anyone let me in on the best practice for implementing membership in Umbraco (V4)? e.g. How Umbraco handles the distinction between users and members - do they both go through the ASP.NET forms authentication method? can you be logged in as a User and a member at the same time?

In short does anyone have any links to forum posts or any of the books that cover this topic? I've had a search around and can only find people having problems with external membership providers. As this is a new project i'm hoping to use as much of the built in functionality of Umbraco as bossible.

On a general note, I'm liking what I see in Umbraco and wish I'd found it 18 months ago!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2009 @ 12:58
    Dirk De Grave

Hi abriggs,

Welcome to umbraco.

Nope, users and members are different concepts. Members are used for front-end whereas users are backend only.

Most simple solution is to use the built-in membership provider which derived from the asp.net membership provider, meaning you can use the standard asp.net login controls.

I haven't seen much/none docs on implementing membership provider in umbraco though... but if you're a .net developer, it won't take you much time to get up and running with it.

Here's another thread that includes a basic how-to

http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostst7928About-membership-provider.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• Antony Briggs 78 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 06, 2009 @ 13:24
    Antony Briggs

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

And thanks for that post - I am a .net developer but didn't want to go attacking Umbraco with a sledgehammer (as I've been known to do in the past) until I knew what was the recommended way of doing it.

So just to sastisfy my own curiosity, how is back-end security handled? I can't see anything in web.config that gives it away. Is it done in a handler or some such?

Cheers,

Ant

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft