Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Blomfield 16 posts 21 karma points
    Feb 06, 2009 @ 21:39
    Scott Blomfield

Custom member provider

Has anyone used a custom membership provider with Umbraco v4?

I've implemented a member provider to hit our user store, but it appears that the role provider is written to hit the umbraco members memberhsip provider regardless of what is actually being used... You can't even add a user without noticing this problem though - so I am wondering if perhaps I have implemented something incorrectly.

I'd really appreciate any anecdotes anyone may have regarding their experience trying to use a custom MembershipProvider implementation with Umbraco 4.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 06, 2009 @ 23:02
    Dan Diplo

Just to be clear: You have changed the role provider in the following section to point to your own one?
    [code]

[/code]

Changing that has no effect? Is that what you are saying?

Feb 09, 2009 @ 16:17
    Scott Blomfield

No, I have not created a custom Role provider. I only created a Membership provider. I am trying to determine if it is required that a custom Role provider be created if a Membership Provider was created.

My own tests seem to indicate that it is, but I wanted to make sure.

Feb 09, 2009 @ 20:46
    Dan Diplo

Yes, the role provider is totally independent of the membership provider.

Feb 11, 2009 @ 15:43
    Scott Blomfield

Right, that was my original thought too. What I am saying I have noticed is that although Membership and Role providers are separate things, the Umbraco Role provider for members is tied closely with the Umbraco Membership provider for members.

What this means in practice is that if you drop in a new Membership Provider for your members then you have to also drop in a different role provider; you cannot use the existing role provider with a different role provider.

Sorry if I had not communicated this clearly previously.

Feb 11, 2009 @ 17:54
    Dan Diplo

Ahh, I see what you mean. That does seem a flaw as the .NET provider model should allow you to "mix and match" different providers. At least, in theory!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft