Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Mar 16, 2009 @ 00:23
    Paul Blair

Paid member subscriptions + donations for a site

Hi,

I am developing a site that will require members to pay for an annual subscription as well as allow supporters to donate to the site. They would also like the ability to allow supporters to set up a monthly donation.

Any suggestions on how to best develop this?
    - use one of the e-commerce packages for Umbraco?
    - I saw that Doug had a paypal module in development last year. Is this available for V4? Where do I get it? And does paypal have any facility for scheduled monthly payments?
    - any other suggestions? I'm thinking the e-commerce package may be overkill...

Cheers
    Paul

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2009 @ 08:01
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Paul,

An e-commerce package is indeed big overkill. Paypal should do really fine here. I'd suggest to create a sandbox test account on Paypal. And there's lots of documentation on how to Paypal-enable your site. And yes, Paypal also offers subscriptions which supports scheduled payments. I haven't seen Doug's package yet, so I'm thinking it's not yet finished.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Mar 16, 2009 @ 08:31
    Soeren Sprogoe

I can only backup what Dirk is saying.

Forget about an eCommerce package. It is overkill, and the only one usefull out there (to my knowledge) is dedicated tos elling products.

Have a look at the Paypal interface, or maybe Google Checkout. Those are so easy to use, that none has bothered to create a real package for it :-)

/SoerenS

• fed 199 posts 70 karma points
    Mar 16, 2009 @ 08:57
    fed

Acctually there is a package for Google Checkout, [url]http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostst6950Google-Checkout-Package.aspx[/url]

Haven't tried it out though.

Mar 17, 2009 @ 20:47
    Paul Blair

Thanks everyone - I'll give PayPal a go.

Cheers

• kalor 12 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 09, 2011 @ 00:09
    kalor

Hi Paul,

Did you get this working? I'm also trying to implement a subscription and "it's so easy" isn't helping me either :)

Any tips/code/doco you could share?

Mar 09, 2011 @ 03:16
    Paul Blair

Hi Kalor,

The charity I was doing this for never really took of so the site is no longer available for viewing. But yes I did get most of this to work.

I created a registration form based around the Create User Wizard control.

As part of the registration members had the option of making a donation. They could also set this to re-occur monthly/annually. The charity decided not to go ahead with the development of the re-occuring programming - preferring to do this manually in the beginning - which turned out to a good decision on their part due to the lack of interest. However I believe this would have also been reasonably straight forward to implement. The payment provider we were using (DPS - NZ based) had this ability, as I think PayPal does so it depends on whether they expose this via an API.

You will need a good knowledge of .NET and the Umbraco membership classes.

Paul

• kalor 12 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 09, 2011 @ 03:20
    kalor

Thanks Paul. I'm an ASP.NET developer so no worries there, I just haven't had anything to do with Paypal. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft