Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Wellman 20 posts 40 karma points
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 11:24
    Dan Wellman

Disable Canvas Mode

Hi,

Is it possible to disable the canvas editing mode? It tends to confuse clients and seems to cause issues with grid-based layouts in certain situations.

Can't seem to find a config setting for it...

Ta :)

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    May 14, 2012 @ 20:10
    Funka!

Version 4.7.2:

We also have gotten a few calls/emails from different clients that are confused by this feature. The three main problems are when they try to use it on sub-nodes that are not really pages, or on pages that are fully rendered by Razor scripts/macros and thus don't benefit, and occasionally on pages that purposely don't have the form tags. They get a very confusing screen and the client then thinks something is broken, so they panic and then demand our immediate attention like it is an emergency because they don't understand things that are slightly out of the ordinary. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to disable this? (I.e, remove it from the menu?)  I've found several other posts asking this same question, just haven't yet come across an answer.

Thank you!

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 16, 2012 @ 12:49
    Tim

Hiya,

To remove Canvas Editing from the menu, go into the Users section in the back office, and select a user type. You'll see a list of checkboxes for different menu items. Uncheck the "edit in canvas" option and update the user type. repeat for all relevant user types and the next time they log in, the option won't be available to them. We disable it on the majority of our sites, as we don't use canvas mode much.

May 16, 2012 @ 21:17
    Funka!

Tim, I wish I could mark your answer as the solution, but as this isn't my original topic I am unable to!

I thought I had seem that setting somewhere before, just couldn't remember where, ... or if I had perhaps imagined it. And then couldn't find it again when I looked the other day, as well as all of my searches for this answer turning up blank. Hopefully this post will save someone else that trouble in the future!

Thanks again!

May 16, 2012 @ 21:22
    Funka!

Well, one last question/comment on this I think, which is that there doesn't seem to be an "administrator" user type showing up in the Users -> User Types node in the backoffice. Ony writer, editor, and translator. I suppose this is by design since administrator is a special type that we wouldn't want anyone to delete!

Yes, we do have a user that insisted to be an administrator, even though we have his user setup to only see the Content, Media, and Users sections in the backoffice. (I suppose he could add these back in for himself if he would like.)  So it would be great if we could still disable this feature for him---i.e., on a global/universal level, even for all administrators. But this will still be handy to disable for everyone else!

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft