Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Young 19 posts 39 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 11:36
    Phil Young

Mobile template switcher?

Hi guys,

I have an umbraco site (4.7) that i'd like to be able to also serve to mobile devices. I've read a lot of posts on here with regards to this, but nothing seemed to be right for what I need.

Basically, i'd like to be able to detect for mobile devices - preferably server side and not Javascript. It looks like 51degrees might be able to offer some help, but I dont want to redirect the user to a different version of my site. I want to use the same content thats served to the desktop, but use different templates for the mobile. This way I can control the css for mobile, and dont have to duplicate my content either.

In its most simple terms, i'd like to create a desktop.master and mobile.master and then switch between these templates depending on user agent.

How would I set that up in umbraco?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

• Thomas Enggaard Christensen 24 posts 49 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 12:02
    Thomas Enggaard Christensen

You could make a .NET usercontrol that checks the
    Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice
    property to see whether the client is a mobile device or not.

Then create a template for the mobile version of a given documenttype, and the have the usercontrol do a

Response.Redirect(Request.Url.ToString() + "?altTemplate=XXX");

where XXX is the name of the mobile template.

(You might want to check the Request.Url for existing querystring and change the ? to a & acordingly.

• Thomas Enggaard Christensen 24 posts 49 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 12:05
    Thomas Enggaard Christensen

Ofcause using the "Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice" requires the browser files for different devices to be acurate.

But for most modern devices like iPhone/iPad/Andriod they should be ok "out of the box"

I have had som issues with certain older Nokia devices.

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 13:09
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

This is the way we are doing it:

1. Set up 2 or 3 hierachies of templates with the same names: i) web ii) mobile iii) android

2. Except prefix the mobile/android templates with something eg "m" or "i".

3. Edit the mobile templates as needed, adding mobile assets, stylesheets etc.

4. Use the strUserAgent in the master template to detect the browser and redirect to the correct template:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

string strUserAgent = Request.UserAgent.ToLower();

if (strUserAgent != null)

{

if (

true// Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice == true

|| strUserAgent.Contains("iphone")

|| strUserAgent.Contains("ipod")

|| strUserAgent.Contains("android")

|| strUserAgent.Contains("iemobile")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("version")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("blackberry")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("windows ce")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("opera mini")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("palm")

//|| strUserAgent.Contains("chrome")

|| strUserAgent.Contains("ipad")

)

{
                      // mobile site prefix for template
                      string temp_Prefix = "m";

// if iPad and Android tablet and set the prefix
                      if (strUserAgent.Contains("ipad") || (strUserAgent.Contains("android") && !strUserAgent.Contains("mobile")))
                      {
                        temp_Prefix = "i";
                      }
                      // redirect to the page with the correct template applied
                      string templ = new umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template(umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node.GetCurrent().template).Alias;
                      Response.Redirect(HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.AbsoluteUri + "/" + temp_Prefix + templ, true);
                    }

}

}

This means you don't need to go through manually setting the template name, it's just the regular template name with a prefix. Should probably check to see if the template exists before applying it and need to make sure that the document types have the mobile templates allowed for them.

Hope that helps,

Matt

• Phil Young 19 posts 39 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 16:34
    Phil Young

Thanks guys, points me in the right direction. Seems that ALL the info I've found on achieving this in this forum uses the altTemplate function.

Cheers

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Dec 30, 2011 @ 00:28
    Jonas Eriksson

Thanks for that Matt

I'm not sure yet - but I hope jQuery mobile will work out nice for all kinds of devices. I made a quick test for a demo to a client and it was a nice experience, I will continue with that later, but if someone finds it useful here's the basic template https://gist.github.com/1536616

• Graham Carr 277 posts 389 karma points
    Oct 17, 2012 @ 18:26
    Graham Carr

Hi Matt,

I have tried to implement the solution you posted above, but for some reason when I access my site i get redirected to http://<my site>/mHomepage/mHomepage, and for the life of me I cannot work out why it is adding two mHomepages to the URL. A response.write of the redirect URL before the redirect shows only http://<my site>/mHomepage

Any ideas why this might be happening. I do not have any custom redirects implemented, etc.

Graham

• James Rosewell 3 posts 71 karma points
    May 23, 2014 @ 14:13
    James Rosewell

I've just seen this thread and thought followers might be interested in the 51Degrees (my company) Umbraco package which will make the IsMobileDevice property of Request.Browser a lot more accurate. It also provides other information like IsTablet, IsSmartPhone, Screen dimensions in mms and inches, input methods, etc. It can be found in the Umbraco package library by searched for 51Degrees package.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft