Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    May 07, 2009 @ 20:27
    Andrew

Latest Windows Live Writer (Build 14.0.8064.206) Problem with Categories

Hi all

I have "bumped" my previous post (found here: http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostst9522v4-and-Live-writer-small-problem.aspx) into a new post because the original post started off questioning a v4 issue, wheras the issue was related to WLW - so hence the new post. Please tell me if I am double-posting!

Anyway. I use WLW extensively and it has always worked for my clients for blogs. However, since installing (upgrading) to the latest version (shown in the title), I am having a problem with categories. WLW can read categories, it can publish new posts with existing categories, but as soon as you try add a new category, it fails with the error detailed below. This used to work, and suddenly stopped since the upgrade. I have tested this with the old umbracoBlogCategories, and the new Tags, and both give the same issue.

To sort this out, I can do one of two things:
    1. Downgrade my WLW (sort of defeating the point), or
    2. Find out what the problem is and try and fix it.

I have asked Dr Google, and he does not seem to have any solution for me (well, in the first few pages anyway!), so I though it was time to see what the brainy bunch here can work out from this.

And the error message is:
    [quote]
    request contains int value where string expected [request : parameter 4 : struct mapped to type wpCategory : member parent_id mapped to type String]
    [/quote]

Seems somehow related to the upgraded WLW changing the way it send/receives data between and integer and string, but thats just guessing. I have no idea where to even start looking, or knowing if I could perhaps modify something in my Umbraco to sort it out???

I look forward to any ideas/thoughts

and again sorry for the double post

Andrew

May 18, 2009 @ 19:14
    Andrew

I was wondering if anybody has experienced this issue yet.........?????

Aug 19, 2009 @ 20:17
    Andrew

now that this is in the new forum - was just checking if anyone has experienced this issue. The problem is related to adding new categories though WLW. If you select existing categories, it publishes fine - if you try add new categories it throws this error.

• David Lees 5 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 21, 2009 @ 12:45
    David Lees

I am currently experimenting with Liverwriter and have come across the same error. Livewriter build 14.0.8089.726 en.

The following is what I get in the Liverwriter log file when attempting to add a tag called "Test". I don't know enough about what is is supposed to be sending and recieving to know what is wrong, however the only int being passed is parent_id so I assume this is the problem. I guess Umbraco would need updating to accept either int or string params to cope with this problem?

WindowsLiveWriter,5712,None,00029,21-Aug-2009 11:33:24.680,"XML-RPC request:
    http://localhost/umbraco/channels.aspx
    <?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""utf-8""?>
    <methodCall>
     <methodName>wp.newCategory</methodName>
     <params>
      <param>
       <value>
        <string>1</string>
       </value>
      </param>
      <param>
       <value>
        <string>dl00</string>
       </value>
      </param>
      <param>
       <value>[removed]</value>
      </param>
      <param>
       <value>
        <struct>
         <member>
          <name>name</name>
          <value>
           <string>Test</string>
          </value>
         </member>
         <member>
          <name>parent_id</name>
          <value>
           <int>0</int>
          </value>
         </member>
        </struct>
       </value>
      </param>
     </params>
    </methodCall>",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,5712,None,00030,21-Aug-2009 11:33:24.680,"XML-RPC response:
    http://localhost/umbraco/channels.aspx
    <?xml version=""1.0""?>
    <methodResponse>
      <fault>
        <value>
          <struct>
            <member>
              <name>faultCode</name>
              <value>
                <i4>0</i4>
              </value>
            </member>
            <member>
              <name>faultString</name>
              <value>
                <string>request contains int value where string expected [request : parameter 4 : struct mapped to type wpCategory : member parent_id mapped to type String]</string>
              </value>
            </member>
          </struct>
        </value>
      </fault>
    </methodResponse>",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,5712,Fail,00031,21-Aug-2009 11:33:24.696,"WindowsLive.Writer.Extensibility.BlogClient.BlogClientProviderException: Blog Server Error - Server Error 0 Occurred
    request contains int value where string expected [request : parameter 4 : struct mapped to type wpCategory : member parent_id mapped to type String]
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.XmlRpcBlogClient.CallMethod(String methodName, XmlRpcValue[] parameters)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.AddCategory(String blogId, BlogPostCategory category)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.AddCategoriesIfNecessary(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.EditPost(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.XmlRpcBlogClient.EditPost(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish, String& etag, XmlDocument& remotePost)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Blog.EditPost(BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.UpdateWeblogAsyncOperation.DoWork()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.AsyncOperation.InternalStart()","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Diagnostics.LogFileTraceListener.Fail(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.Fail(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.Trace.Fail(String message)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.BlogPostEditingManager.UpdateWeblog(Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.BlogPostEditingManager.PostToWeblog(Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.BlogPostEditingManager.Publish()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostEditorMainControl.commandPostAndPublish_Execute(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.RaiseEvent(Object eventKey, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.OnExecute(EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.CommandBarButtonLightweightControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Controls.LightweightControl.RaiseMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Controls.LightweightControlContainerControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Controls.LightweightControlContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.SatelliteApplicationForm.Launcher.ThreadMain(Object[] parameters)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Threading.ThreadStartWithParams.Run()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()"
    WindowsLiveWriter,5712,None,00032,21-Aug-2009 11:33:24.696,"DisplayableException occurred: WindowsLive.Writer.Extensibility.BlogClient.BlogClientProviderException: Blog Server Error - Server Error 0 Occurred

at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.XmlRpcBlogClient.CallMethod(String methodName, XmlRpcValue[] parameters)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.AddCategory(String blogId, BlogPostCategory category)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.AddCategoriesIfNecessary(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.MetaweblogClient.EditPost(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Clients.XmlRpcBlogClient.EditPost(String blogId, BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish, String& etag, XmlDocument& remotePost)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.BlogClient.Blog.EditPost(BlogPost post, INewCategoryContext newCategoryContext, Boolean publish)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.UpdateWeblogAsyncOperation.DoWork()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.AsyncOperation.InternalStart()",""
  • Andrew Blackmore 84 posts 127 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 15:24
    Andrew Blackmore

I came across this error as well...

14.0.8089.726en

• stc 72 posts 101 karma points
    May 30, 2010 @ 01:49
    stc

Please...me tooo....almost same error/log.

Has anyone been able to enable Properties (f2) in WLW and/or assign an Excerpt field with Umbraco 4.0.3 and latest WLW...

TIA

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft