Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Blomfield 16 posts 21 karma points
    Jun 03, 2009 @ 20:44
    Scott Blomfield

Trouble Using WebService API

I'm trying to use the webservice api to pull information about our umbraco instance.
    I am using Umbraco v4.0.2.1.

Specifically, I am trying to call /umbraco/webservices/api/documentService.asmx?op=readList

For parentid I am specifying -1,

for username and password I am specifying the same username and password that I use to log into the umbraco admin.

I keep receiving the following error:
    [code]System.Exception: The user does not authenticate
    at umbraco.webservices.BaseWebService.Authenticate(String username, String password)
    at umbraco.webservices.documents.documentService.readList(Int32 parentid, String username, String password)[/code]

My umbracoSettings.config section relevant looks like:
    [code]

[/code]

I have tried changing the "admin" above to "Administrator" - this didn't help. I also tried creating a new user "ws", and setting it up as a copy of admin, then using that instead of admin in the above config - that also didn't help...

I have searched google and the forums several times trying to find what I am doing wrong, but I cannot see anything relevant that resolves the issue. Has anyone else used these api webservices? How did they get them working?

Thanks,

Scott

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 03, 2009 @ 21:31
    Dirk De Grave

Hi scott,

I'm just going through the code (the v402 beta - but nothing has changed re webservices) and found out that supplied username and password are not correctly translated/encoded when authenticating. I mean, it'll probably work if you don't use hashed passwords (which has become default in v401).

For the sake of testing, just create a new user, make sure to set passwordFormat to 'Clear' in web.config and see if that works.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• Scott Blomfield 16 posts 21 karma points
    Jun 03, 2009 @ 21:44
    Scott Blomfield

Thanks Dirk... good to know it's not just me. Should I submit a ticket for this on CodePlex?

Jun 03, 2009 @ 21:46
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

Quick update:

- It doesn't matter how passwordFormat is set, it won't use this info when authenticating for webservices.
    - Change password for the user you're using to authenticate (directly in db), and use that password for webservice authentication.

I'll check on Codeplex on file a new work item if not yet existing.

Cheers,
    /Dirk

Jun 03, 2009 @ 22:45
    Dirk De Grave

Another quick update:

Codeplex work item created: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=22918

Please vote to get it resolved asap.

Cheers,
    /Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft