Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dwarakesh 50 posts 69 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 06:33
    dwarakesh

Skins and themes

Hi

i neeed to create provision where user can change skin and themes .. how to go about it

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 07:56
    Rich Green

Hi,

Umbraco already has skinning built in, if you have Umbraco TV you can read all about it here http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/creating-a-skin-for-umbraco/creating-the-skin-package

Otherwise, install a start kit and look in your /MasterPages/ directory you should see a folder withe the skin name and an xml file which can show you how the starter kits are skinned.

Rich

Sep 08, 2011 @ 11:18
    dwarakesh

Hi rich,

How can i make the user to change the theme like the content in umbraco back office.. is there any sample or package to do it???

Sep 08, 2011 @ 11:19
    Rich Green

Hey,

Lets be clear here.

Are you looking to skin the Umbraco back office, or skin the front end site?

Rich

Sep 08, 2011 @ 11:28
    dwarakesh

I need to skin the front end site...  say there will be two themes.. where user can choose any one theme..  am i clear

Sep 08, 2011 @ 11:34
    Rich Green

Hey,

Then the link in my first post and information is relevant and should be everything you need?

Rich

Sep 08, 2011 @ 11:44
    Rich Green

Actually, if it's just two themes, how will these be changed?

If it's just the CSS files that are different you can just add a DocType property to let the user change between the "themes" by changing the style sheet.

Rich

Sep 08, 2011 @ 12:27
    dwarakesh

s.. thats wat i need.. user changing  between themes by changing the stylesheet.. how this can be done...

Sep 08, 2011 @ 12:32
    Rich Green

Hey,

It should be quite straightforward.

Add the two different stylesheets to your /css directory.

Install uComponents and use the http://ucomponents.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FilePicker&referringTitle=Documentation and watch the screencast.

Use the above datatype let the user select which CSS file the user wants and then in your XSLT, Razor or masterpage simply render the link to the selected stylesheet.

Of course you can do this many ways, all your really doing is asking the user to set the style and then rendering out a different stylesheet.

Does that make sense?

Rich 

Sep 08, 2011 @ 14:15
    dwarakesh

Thanks rich,

I got it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft