Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MHH311 23 posts 43 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 03:22
    MHH311

Master page elements not rendered for sub menu node

I have an ABOUT page with a HISTORY page as a child node in a web site I am building. Both use the same web site Master page. When I open the ABOUT page, it will display correctly showing all Master page elements.

However, from the ABOUT page, when I select the sub-menu item HISTORY, the page is pulled up but none of the Master page elements are present.

The URL for history is /about/history.aspx so it is rendered in the browser as www.websiteURL/about/history.aspx. If I open the page via this, www.websiteURL.com/history.aspx, then the page pulls up correctly.

Any ideas what I am missing? I am sure it is something simple I am just not considering.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 09:05
    Dirk De Grave

Guess you need to tell us a bit more about those pages. Do you have info on the masterpage content and how you're pulling data (either directly in template or via xslt/razor)?

Looking forward to your info.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 09:06
    Dirk De Grave

Also, did you verify the output when appending ?umbdebugshowtrace=true to the querystring. It may give some hints and will defenitely list all elements that are pulled onto the page.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Oct 18, 2011 @ 14:32
    MHH311

Dirk-

The majority of the content from my masters page is template based (HTML/CSS).  I appended "?umbdebugshowtrace=true" to URL as suggested but no errors were reported.

It seems like any page 2 tiers deep have the same issue. My content layout is something like this:
    ----------------------------
    CONTENT
       -Home:
           -About
                -History
           -Another Page
                -Sub Page 1
                -Sub Page 2
    ---------------------------

I am not sure if this is best practice, but in the example above, About, History, Another Page, and Sub Page 1/2 will all Inherit from the same web site master page (Master.master).  So both ABOUT and the child page HISTORY have the HTML for the content place holder of:

<asp:content ContentPlaceHolderId="masterContent" runat="server">

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oct 18, 2011 @ 14:42
    MHH311

I think I have figured it out...I noticed on the HISTORY page that FireBug indicated that it couldnt find any CSS styles for any of my elements. SO I checked how I was referencing my CSS and it turns out I wasnt using a relative path:

Was using    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/default.css" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" />

vs.
    (correct method)
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="../css/default.css" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" />

**Note this difference between css/deffault.css and ../css/default.css. Hopefully, this oversight will help someone else down the road. Thanks again.

Oct 18, 2011 @ 15:14
    MHH311

opps...double post.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft