Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenneth Jørgensen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 23, 2011 @ 19:35
    Kenneth Jørgensen

Using the membership provider to connect to sharepoint

ti i am in the process of kreating a new website there i have to use share point 2010 as intranet
    is there any one there have use umbarco membership provider an can help me setting it op

• Ben McKean 272 posts 549 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:21
    Ben McKean

I briefly looked into this at one point and stumbled across this site http://www.bendsoft.com/net-sharepoint-connector/

It was for a potential project which we've now pretty much got the job so I'll be using them.

There is a license cost but it all looks very good.

• Neil Marshall 10 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:30
    Neil Marshall

We have done some work on this and have successfully enabled SharePoint to use Umbraco's membership provider. We spent quite a while trying to set this up with no luck but then after debugging the Umbraco membership provider all became clear and the solution is currently in use with our customers.

Just to be clear, the solution we have in place is to allow Users and Groups to be administered in Umbraco. Users can also log onto SharePoint with the same username and password through forms authentication. SharePoint can also take advantage of the Umbraco users and groups to secure data within SharePoint. So when administering access to data within SharePoint it is the Umbraco Users and Groups which you get to see as opposed to Windows users or standard asp.net membership users.

This solution is currently working with the following set-up but there's no reason I know of that it wouldn't work with the latest SharePoint version.

Database: SQL Server 2008 express
    SharePoint version: WSS3
    Umbraco version 4.x

The solution doesn't use any 3rd party tools.

• Kenneth Jørgensen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 30, 2011 @ 19:45
    Kenneth Jørgensen

Neil how dit you set it up

is the membership proviter loade in to the gac

can you give me som pointers

• Neil Marshall 10 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 31, 2011 @ 10:54
    Neil Marshall

From what I remember of the initial set-up what we had to do was add the umbraco dll files to the bin and _app_bin folders of the SharePoint site and the Central Admin site. We then also had to copy over the Umbraco "appSettings" section and configure the membership and role providers in the web.config files of those same SharePoint sites. Don't think we had to do anything win the gac.

Make sure you recycle the application pools for these sites to reflect the changes (in case editing the web.config doesn't do it) .

Once this was done we used the Central Admin site to configure a new zone for the SharePoint site in question and used forms authentication with the UmbracoMembershipProvider and UmbracoRoleProvider. You don't have to configure this new zone, you can use the existing one but then you'll be forced to use the Umbraco membership provider as opposed to also being able to use Windows auth.

You could tell it was working when you searched for an Umbraco member in SharePoint using the "umbracomembershipprovider:" prefix to the username (or searching for a role using "umbracoroleprovider:").

We can try to compile some documentation if that would help. May help others too.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft