Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Valcourt 70 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 05:29
    Robert Valcourt

How can Umbraco Examine be used on the front end as a site search

Hello,

I have a new client that would like a site search function on their Umbraco Website. In the past, I have always used XSLTsearch and found it to be adequate for my needs. In this case, my client needs the ability to not only search page content fields, but PDFs as well. My research thus far has indicated that Umbraco Examine can do this, but I have no idea how to implement it.

I'm not an advanced developer, so that is a little over my head. XSLTsearch works out of the box in that it creates the doctypes, templates and macros needed and all you have to do is configure a few macro settings and your up and running. From what I can tell, Examine is part of the Umbraco core as of 4.5 but does not include a front end search engine and you must create this yourself?!?

Does anyone know where I might find an installable package that contains the needed elements (doctypes, templates, macros, etc) that utilizes Examine, and allows for a site search in the front end and is PDF indexable? Or maybe point me in the right direrction. Many thanks.

Robert

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 10:32
    Ismail Mayat

Robert,

The quickest and least painful way would be to get a subscription to umbraco tv and watch the examine videos. You can just buy one month subscription see http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials.aspx

Will save you alot of time and hassle.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft