Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Mink 12 posts 51 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:16
    Jeroen Mink

Many to Many relation

For a intranet site, the requirement is that the user can create different projects his company is working on, and add different employees (can use the members) to it who are currently working on this project. They also want to specify for each person working on the project what he/she is doing for it. I'm thinking of the best way to solve this in Umbraco; i'm thinking about a custom control that selects the members with a picker and adds those members and their projectjob description in a XML tree inside a Text field in the document type.

The problems that will arise are:

- on the front-end; i would ike to display a list with projects that a ceartain employee is currently working on

- on the front-end; the employee should be able to modify hisproject job title for each project he is working on

Any sugestions of how to solve this?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:37
    Aaron Powell

I don't think that Umbraco is the best technology for doing this, it'll require a heck of a lot of custom development to achieve. Something like Windows SharePoint Services 3 would be better as it's got a lot more built in support for this kind of stuff.

But if you really want to do it with Umbraco you'll need:

* Custom Data Type to allow the selecting of multiple members
    * Dashboard control which allows the locating of a member and selecting their responsibility. The data for this could either be stored in a property of the member type (delimitered some how) or via an ASP.NET Profile Provider (which I think Umbraco supports).

On the front end you'll need to have some custom .NET controls which allow the rendering of the members for a project + their resposbilities (I wouldn't recommend an XSLT as there is a lot of .NET code you need to write anyway, so it's best to keep it all in the one spot) and another .NEt control which is on the profile for a logged in member that allows them to set their job title per project (again, that would probably have to be in some kind of a delimitered string or serialized object and written to a property of the Member Type).

So as you can se there's a lot of custom .NET code which would need to be written to achieve what you're wanting to achieve, and this is why I'm not sure that Umbraco really is the best suited technology for your requirements.

• Jeroen Mink 12 posts 51 karma points
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 08:25
    Jeroen Mink

Yes i was affraid of that, but that's still the most convenient sollution i think...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft