Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hard_life 6 posts 3 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 21:47
    hard_life

Adding a forum to an umbraco site - beginners question

Hello, no clue where to ask this question, so trying here - I apologize if misplaced.

Very new to umbraco - recently set up my first solution and customized it to my liking. I ran with the Creative Website Package (CWS) and the basic stuff has been fairly easy for someone with a limited skillset like me.

As part of the site I'm creating, I'd like to implement some forum functionality.

I tried to install the uForum basics package, but ran into an error saying "Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'RunwayMasterContentPlaceHolder' in the master page '/umbraco/masterpages/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page."

Even thought i dont have runway installed, I tried adding another contentplaceholder with an id of 'RunwayMasterContentPlaceHolder' to the default.master, which seemed to make it display the forum.aspx although it failed to display nodes under it (they are published as well).

Now i didn't get this package to work, so I'm asking: Is there a forum package for umbraco out there thats fleshed out and works? I'm evaluating this as the basis for a new site. I unfortunately don't have time or skills to implement a fully functional forum - so i'm curious if i can get something out of the box in this area.

Any input appreciated, Cheers

PS: I can't see any posts in the forums when I'm logged in - common bug?

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 23:32
    Paul Sterling

I think the most straightforward solution to your issue is to install Runway first, and then the Forum package as it depends on Runway.  You can install Runway from your Umbraco instance in:

Developer > Packages > Runway modules

The Forum package found here (same one you have) is the best place to start.

-Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft