Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Mahoney 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 16, 2011 @ 18:28
    Jonathan Mahoney

Custom ActiveDirectory Provider

We're attempting to use Umbraco (4.7) for an intranet project. For this we require:-

• Users to log into the BackOffice via Active Directory
    • 'Public Access' to work based on Active Directory Roles
    I can setup BackOffice access easily, by using the default MS AD provider. However its a different story when trying to restrict pages using the 'public access' feature.
    When the default Membership provider is set to the MS ActiveDirectory provider I get this, when trying to go to the [public access] login page:-
    I've seen a lot of people getting this, but no-one gives any detail on their solution - has anyone created a custom override for this - and if so where can I see tips (or ideally source code).

• Ian Robinson 79 posts 143 karma points
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 22:03
    Ian Robinson

Hi Jonathan,

I'm going to be starting a similar project soon and I was wondering if you ever managed to resolve the issue you were having?

• Evan Jardine 108 posts 168 karma points
    Nov 24, 2011 @ 00:44
    Evan Jardine

Hi Jonathan

Out of the box the AD provider only really works for Users logging into the back office.  To use 'Public Access' with AD Roles you need to write a custom role provider class.  You can see one example on how to do this if you have a look at this project and the source code;

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/umbraco-intranet-authentication

It should give you a good idea on how to implement the basics of this type of solution.

Another option which would still involve a cusom role provider would be to follow the below wiki entry.  The code was written for an older version of umbraco but you should be able to follow the concept.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers/use-active-directory-to-authenticate-site-members-(intranet)

Hope this points you in the right direction :)

Regards

Evan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft