Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Nov 29, 2011 @ 13:42
    Anthony Candaele

book on extending Umbraco

Hi,

This is just an idea that popped into my head: I think it would be a good idea to have a book on extending Umbraco.

There is already the excellent book Umbraco User's Guide by Nik Wahlberg, but this is more targeted towards front end development.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a book on development to extend the Umbraco CMS? This could focus on the Umbraco way of developing, setting up VS, sharing the code, etc ... etc ...

And now, with Umbraco V5 coming up, I think the timing for this would be right.

Share your ideas for a book like this.

greetings,

Anthony Candaele

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 17:25
    Paul Sterling

Hi Anthony -

Are you signing up to be the lead author for the proposed book?  If so, let me know and I'll be happy to put you in contact with our editors at Wrox Press.

I was the original author of the Umbraco User's Guide before Nik took over and valiantly completed the it (he did most of the work!).

-Paul

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 18:50
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Paul,

I would love to be the lead author, alas, I'm lacking the technological know how to write such a book. In fact, I'm just beginning to learn how to extend Umbraco v4.

But if I could provide some editing help, I would love to do so.

greetings,

Anthony

• Darren Ball 2 posts 32 karma points
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 17:39
    Darren Ball

How's this book coming along? There isn't a whole lot of documentation that I can find regarding extending Umbraco. 

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Extending-Umbraco/

This page is pretty much marked as "Coming Soon." Can anyone point me towards some code samples, best practices, or ideology/theories on extending Umbraco?

Thanks!

Darren

• James Star 17 posts 38 karma points
    Nov 14, 2013 @ 03:40
    James Star

Hi Anthony, Paul,

I've been working with Umbraco for the past several months, but mostly from a Front-End Developer perspective. Had a lot of fun working with the Umbraco CMS, which has spurred me to focus on the consideration of writing an Umbraco book, titled: A Book for Front-End Developers to discover Umbraco.

Currently looking to expand my network further, support etc..

James

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 14, 2013 @ 08:03

Best up to date resource is http://umbraco.tv/ :) books get outdated pretty fast

Nov 14, 2013 @ 09:05
    James Star

Hi Tim,

thanks for the advice. Ill be sure to keep an eye on umbraco.tv.

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 15, 2013 @ 08:48

@James why not start with a blog :)

Nov 16, 2013 @ 00:38
    Paul Sterling

Hi James -

I seond Tim's suggestion - start with a blog, maybe even some videos.  Hell, go crazy and create something really useful and create a "complete guide"!  With the rate of change in Umbraco and the long-lead times with book, it's really not a good match.  If your blog is wildly successful and you find you absolutely love writing about umbraco and don't mind making 0.10 USD per hour writing a book, I'll be more than happy to connect you with the publishers of the original Umbraco User's Guide who are very nice folks and always open to an idea that works.

Best,
    -Paul 

Nov 17, 2013 @ 04:43
    James Star

Hi Tim, Paul,

thanks for the replies. I have started a blog and website, the focus is on Front-End Development with the idea that any writing OR publications are about expanding the "wings" of front-end development to encompass such technologies like Umbraco, maybe in an overlapping or to be able to build a basic website from start to finish with Umbraco. I think far too many books are trying to teach people step by step on the existing version of a software as opposed to providing a "CREATIVE THOUGHT PROCESS" in that the book could apply to any version. For example, your Umbraco User Guide Book is still valid because of the fundamentals of Umbraco. Umbraco haven't changed Nodes to be something entirely different, their still Nodes, maybe they have added additional library implementing namespaces, but essentially their still Nodes.

I will take your advice onboard, I am going to produce a couple of short videos and blog items, but their mostly to introduce a "Creative Thought Process" to Umbraco and maybe even the consideration of potential future Front-End Development needs, e.g. Umbraco 7 OR 8,9 UI.

Best,
    James 

Nov 17, 2013 @ 15:43
    Paul Sterling

Great initiative James...look forward to reading your work.

-Paul

Nov 17, 2013 @ 23:32
    James Star

Thanks Paul, be in touch.

James

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft