Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• john 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 29, 2011 @ 18:20
    john

Am I supposed to be using WebMatrix of Visual Studio?

WebMatrix opened as explained but I thought it would be better to use VS 2010.  I read various posts and saw the template, but was Umbraco made totally with WebMatrix?  Am I supposed to be using WebMatrix for all my work on Umbraco?  Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 29, 2011 @ 23:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi John

I think you should be using Visual studio for now since WebMatrix in the current stable version does not offer intellisense. Beta 2 does and it looks promising.

So I think the answer is that you should use what you prefer to use to edit files outside of Umbraco. But of course if you're a backend developer creating user control based macroes or extending Umbraco in other ways you should probably use visual studio.

If you're a frontend developer editing xslt, razor, css, javascript and such things WebMatrix is perhaps a better choise since it does not have all the "bells'n'whistles" of Visual Studio imho.

The thing with WebMatrix is that it's preffered by many to install Umbraco, since it seems to be the most easy way to do it because it detects what dependencies are missing and makes sure all dependencies are installed with the Umbraco application itself. Once it's installed you can move the files to another place on the disk if preffered.

Hope this answers your question :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft