Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Osborne 108 posts 150 karma points
    Dec 29, 2011 @ 23:16
    Simon Osborne

Create a speechbubble from a custom class

I am trying to trigger a speechbubble in the Umbraco Admin tools from a custom class.

When I use the following:

umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.Current.ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.speechBubbleIcon.success, "Title Text", "Message Text")

I get:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I a guessing it's because as it is a class rather than the partial class associated with a user control or page it cannot see the current base page.

How can this be achieved?

Thanks,

Simon

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 30, 2011 @ 14:09
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

I'm not sure you'll be able to do this without a reference to the page.  What type of class is this being called from?

-Tom

• Simon Osborne 108 posts 150 karma points
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 01:01
    Simon Osborne

Hi Tom,

its a compiled public class I have written for a custom section.

Have also noted that it produces the same error in a compile user control that is loaded into the tabpage. How would I reference the current basepage, or convert the system.web.ui.page into a basepage?

I was trying the following as an alternative:

Dim pg As System.Web.UI.Page = HttpContext.Current.Handler
    Dim bPage As BasePage = CType(pg, BasePage)
    bPage.ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.speechBubbleIcon.success, "Title Text", "Message Text"

but I get the following error:

Unable to cast object of type 'ASP.umbraco_control2k_order_aspx' to type 'umbraco.BasePages.BasePage'.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:34
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

I'm not sure how to convert the Page into a BasePage.  Maybe it has something to do with your custom page - is it inheriting from an umbracoPage?  Maybe you can try casting to umbracoPage instead of BasePage.

However, the ShowSpeechBubble is just a wrapper for a javascript method, so if you have a reference to the page perhaps you can just inject some javascript:

UmbClientMgr.mainWindow().UmbSpeechBubble.ShowMessage('success', 'title', 'message');

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft