Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil Campbell 58 posts 182 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 04:16
    Neil Campbell

User Active Directory (AD) Authentication

Hi all,
    I am trying to integrate Umbraco with the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider in Umbraco 4.0.2.1.

Now i have set up all the AD stuff, and configured everything.

Everything works except when i publish a page the link to document is blank.

Within the web.config i have set <Authentication mode="Windows"> and have turned "Enable anonymous access" off on the IIS site, so i can get the currently logged on windows user and pre populate it into the username field on the login page.

I think the issue is to do with the currently logged on user not having ownership on the application pool. They have full control on the site directory structure itself, and can add media items ect, it just when a new page is created the link to document will be blank (So i am thinking it is something to do with the cache refresher). If i manually delete the umbraco.config, then recycle the application pool, the page then has a link to document when i go back in.

Any help would be excellent!!!

I have done allot of searching and have come up with nothing.

If i can sort this issue, I will try make a guide to AD authentication, so it will benefit others out there trying to sort it out.

Cheers,
    Neil

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 05:20
    Aaron Powell

Do you need to configure IIS like that, I thought that all you needed to do was set the Membership Provider to be the AD one you mentioned.

Or are you trying to pass the credentials directly through from the browser?

Jul 08, 2009 @ 05:41
    Neil Campbell

I am trying to also obtain the logged on windows user, so that it can be pre-populated into the login field.
    So I need to set authentication mode to Windows.

Jul 09, 2009 @ 04:19
    Neil Campbell

I have sorted the issue. It was to do with windows authentication mode being enabled as well as distributedCalls within the umbracoSettings.config.

The cacheRefresher webservice cannot run using the windows user (due to Integrate Windows authentication being on). So on the umbraco/webservices/ directory within IIS you need to set "Enable anonymous access" on, so it doesn't try run as the windows user.

I will try put together a guide to using the ad membership provider with and without distributedCalls turned on in Umbraco 4. Is anyone interested in this?

• Evan Jardine 108 posts 168 karma points
    Jul 09, 2009 @ 06:46
    Evan Jardine

Hi Neil

I'd be interested in to see how you have done this. 

I have only managed to get Forms AD authentication working properly for our intranet applications, which does the job but is not ideal.

Cheers

Evan

• Chaslie 3 posts 23 karma points
    Sep 10, 2009 @ 04:07
    Chaslie

Yes Neil - I would certainly be interested.

• Diane Bryan 26 posts 46 karma points
    Nov 19, 2010 @ 01:03
    Diane Bryan

Also interested... is there anything changed in AD in the past year?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft