Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Guy Dillen 16 posts 32 karma points
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 00:48
    Guy Dillen

Extending Umbraco Question

I suppose to extend Umbraco I need the source code (of Umbraco 5 RC3). Where can I download the source code as a zipfile?

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 01:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Guy

The source code is available at http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/81101 - what kind of extension do you have in mind?

The aim of Umbraco 5 is that it should be easy to extend using plugins so it should not be neccessary to alter the core so I'm a bit curious about what you intend to do - if you don't mind sharing of course :)

/Jan

Jan 28, 2012 @ 09:55
    Guy Dillen

Hi Jan,

Well I was wondering if it is possible to integrate (using Umbraco's infrastructure - security, etc) my webapps with Umbraco using the extension's principle? That's teh reason I was looking for the Umbraco 5 source code version.

Guy

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 11:15
    Tim

Hi @Guy,

In theory you should be able to extend Umbraco using the API, rather than having to update the core itself. Normally you'd only need to update the core if you found a bug that you needed to fix, or if you wanted to change the way part of the core worked (in v5 they use IoC containers, so it should be possible to swap out parts of the functionality without having to touch the core itself).

I've not used v5 much yet, but certainly in v4, I've written loads of extensions for Umbraco without ever needing to update the core code (although the source is a great reference for how the CMS works and for how to accomplish some of the tasks that you might need to do).

Its certainly possible to integrate Umbraco with other systems if you need to, how much work will be involved will depend greatly on how much integration you require, and how complex it is. For example, in v4, I have a number of e-commerce sites running off a custom e-commerce platform, whereall of the content and templates etc are coming from Umbraco, and then I have user controls that are added to the Umbraco pages to provide the e-commerce integration (product lists, carts etc). Some of the controls use the Umbraco API to get information from Umbraco. IT's a fairly basic example, but it works really well. I know of others who have integrated Umbraco with Active Directory and other more complex scenarios.

Jan 30, 2012 @ 14:40
    Guy Dillen

Hi @Tim,

Thanks for the info. The problem is i don't know where "to hook in" in Umbraco 5 to do things you mention (integrate with custom webaps). Because I suppose umbraco 5 is different for this kind of scenarios than umbaco 4. I have MVC 3 experience, and recently switched over from another cms system where you could add MVC Areas to integrate with the CMS.

Thanks.
    Guy

Feb 11, 2012 @ 14:25
    Guy Dillen

Anyone???

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft