Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Evan Jardine 108 posts 168 karma points
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 07:18
    Evan Jardine

Umbraco Intranet Solution and AD

Hi

I've been working on a few Intranet solutions at the moment with requirements to authenticate back office users and front end members with Active Directory.

I know there has been a few AD threads recently but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question as yet...

Here is the situation;

- My users and members can authenticate fine with AD.

- Back office users get logged in to as the default user type and can be managed from the 'Users' section fine.

- When I look at the members section I can't see any of the AD members in the list and therefore can't assign groups and use the public access features.

- I don't want to manage any of my users from umbraco but ideally it would be great to map AD groups to Member Groups.

So my question is, should my AD users be showing up in the members section if my AD membership provider is setup correctly? (At the moment they can login)

Hope this makes sence

Thanks

Evan

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 09:14
    Jesper Hauge

As far as I know the Umbraco membership provider used in a default installation, is a custom coded membership provider that implements an asp.net membership provider.

This means that you can use your normal asp.net membership authentification and authorization controls in the front end, but the member section in the Umbraco backend is not based on standard asp.net membership provider functionality. The Umbraco membership provider extends the asp.net membership provider to provide the Member section functionality, and any other membership providers would have to be extended as well if you need to manage access rules and soforth in the Umbraco backend.

Regards
    .Hauge

• tarekahf 215 posts 153 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 12:27
    tarekahf

Hi Evan,

I am also interested in setting up Umbraco to have Integrated Windows/Active Directory Authentication.

I appreciate it if you provide me with the details of the solution you found, if any.

Tarek.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 12:46
  • Elena 8 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 22:53
    Elena

Another solution is to create a member sync reading from the AD and let the selected users being members instead of users - if u solution is to use umbraco as an intranet - most of the users should only be members.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft