Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chris 6 posts 28 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 16:16
    chris

Delete Custom Section

Hi,

I have created a custom section in the database, updated the language file and created the icon and the class to render the menu items of my new section.

However, when the section was created - and after wasting time before discovering I had to give permission for the user to use it, the new section appeared in the sections box but the image was not being applied.

On closer inspection I discovered this was because the class was name appAlias. Obviously not correct. Also, when applying permission for users to access the section, the item was described as [appAlias].

After checking here and on google, I could find nothing which explained the problem. So I decided to delete the section from database and start from scratch. Strangely, the after removing the records from the database, the permission is still available to be applied in the user section permissions list.

How can this be?

How do I remove this section fully? What was the cause of my original problem?

If someone could help me that would be tremendous.

Thanks.

• Seth Niemuth 275 posts 397 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 17:28
    Seth Niemuth

It may be cached...have you logged out and logged back in after deleting it from the database? I find the easiest way to display the correct icon is just to put the icon into the umbraco\images\tray folder with the same name as you put into the database. So, you could put 'myNewAppIcon.png' into the database row and then have that file in your 'umbraco\images\tray' folder. Are you sure you updated the language file under the 'sections' area with the other sections? Could you post a screenshot of the row that you have added into the database?

• chris 6 posts 28 karma points
    May 24, 2012 @ 11:58
    chris

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it was a very simple problem.

The documentation for setting up new sections is very straight forward and I did what I wanted to do in less than an hour from scratch.

However, my problem stems from a very silly issue of simply looking at the wrong database.

I was looking at an earlier version database and umbraco was looking at the new version. Unfortunately, the older version database had very similar info in it.

A warning to every - make sure your databases are named appropriately and if it is an older version, remove it or rename it appropriately, don't just tag a V2 to the name of the new version of the database.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft