Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Max Mumford 266 posts 293 karma points
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:22
    Max Mumford

Executing some code after a member has been created

Hi all,

I need to add some rows to a custom database after a member has been created, editted and deleted through the Umbraco API or through the backend interface.

I have a faint memory of being able to drop a .cs file into the app_data file with some methods overridden to hook into specific events...?

How would I go about doing this? Is there any documentation of which method scan be overridden?

Thanks,
    Max.

Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:24
    Max Mumford

p.s. I am using the asp.net membership provider, not the out-of-the-box umbraco one and not a custom one.

Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:46
    Max Mumford

Dont worry I solved it - I created a new class project, created a class that extended System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, overrode the create, update and delete members, called their superclasses, made the changes to my other database that I needed and returned the object that the super constructor gave me:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;

using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Security;

namespace MembershipProvider
    {
        public class Members : System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider
        {
            public override System.Web.Security.MembershipUser CreateUser(string username, string password, string email, string passworrQuestion, string passwordAnswer, bool isApproved, object providerUserKey, out System.Web.Security.MembershipCreateStatus status)
            {
                // create the user in the aspnet membership provider
                MembershipUser m = base.CreateUser(username, password, email, passwordQuestion, passwordAnswer, isApproved, providerUserKey, out status);

// do my stuff
       //......
                return m;
            }
        }
    }

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:55
    Michael Latouche

Hi Max,

Here you have a list of all the events you can hook up to: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/api-cheatsheet/using-applicationbase-to-register-events/overview-of-all-events

Cheers,

Michael.

Jul 06, 2012 @ 10:40
    Max Mumford

Thats great Michael, thanks. And to hook into these I just need to create a class which extends a namespace, then override the method I want to hook into? Then drop the .cs file into the app_data folder?

Jul 06, 2012 @ 11:20
    Michael Latouche

Hi Max,

Basically you need to create a class that inherits from ApplicationBase, and then in the constructor you hook up whatever event you want. So your class should look something like this:

namespaceMemberEvent
    {

publicclassPageEvent:ApplicationBase  

{

publicPageEvent(){
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.AfterSave += new MemberAfterSaveEvent(....);
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.AfterDelete += new MemberAfterDeleteEvent(....);
    ...           }

void MemberAfterSaveEvent(....)
    {
    /* Your code here */
    }

void MemberAfterDeleteEvent(....)
    {
    /* Your code here */
    }

You can see a full example on this thread I just saw today : http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/33027-Page-Event-Button-In-Members-Sectio-%28editmemberaspx%29?p=0#comment121448

I'm not 100% sure but I think you will need to put this in a separate assembly that you then copy into your bin folder. I don't think it would work if it resides in app_data.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael.

Jul 06, 2012 @ 13:38
    Max Mumford

Great, thanks very much for your help.

Jul 06, 2012 @ 13:51
    Michael Latouche

You're welcome :-)

Good luck!