Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 06, 2012 @ 17:44
    Umbraco

Installing same package (same version or newer) creates duplicate installed package node

I have created a simple package in the developer section, and to test my package I installed it in the same Umbraco instance. When I update the package (include a new document type), publish it, and reinstall, I end up with the same package (same name at least) installed twice. Even when I update the version number.

Should I report this as a bug?

I use Umbraco 4.7.1.1

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 15:51
    Jeroen Breuer

This is common use in Umbraco. There is no way currently to upgrade packages (might change in the future) so you can only install new packages. Don't try to remove older versions of the package because they will also throw away things from you newer version if the file name is still the same. For example a dll file. I know this is kind of strange, but that's the way it works now.

Jeroen

Jul 08, 2012 @ 22:29
    Umbraco

I was afraid this was the situation, it's a pretty strange situation, especially if you are revving a package quite often. I guess as a developer you'd have to clean up the installed packages config file.

Thanks for confirming this Jeroen!

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 23:15
    Lee Kelleher

I'd say still raise it as a bug on CodePlex, then it can be reviewed/assigned (and put against a target milestone on the roadmap).

You're right about the "installedPackages.config", the main issue here is that it creates addition (duplicate) entries, which can be manually edited.

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 09, 2012 @ 09:44
  • Ronish Potiah 19 posts 171 karma points
    May 02, 2016 @ 09:23
    Ronish Potiah

Has this problem been resolved? I am using Umbraco 7.2 and sharing of packages among developers is problematic. Each time, new content items are being created with new Ids. Any way of overwriting older versions of contents?

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft