Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Genetai 5 posts 51 karma points
    Jul 12, 2012 @ 15:28
    Genetai

Custom subfolder with directory browsing enabled

So here is the scenario:

I want a quick and dirty folder to dump some files in. I don't want to set domain names and create new application pools or any of that overhead. Therefor I simply went to the Umbraco installating folder (on the server filesystem, not through the webbrowser) and created a sub folder named 'test'. The goals is to just type http://www.umbracositedomain.com/test and get a directory list.

The problem is that directory listing doesn't seem to want to work for some reason. First try was through IIS and simply enabling directory browsing. No luck there but it did create the web.config with

<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
        <directoryBrowse enabled="true" />
    </system.webServer>
    </configuration>

which is apperently completely ignored. I've tried multiple things such as adding the folder to 'umbracoReservedUrls' and 'umbracoReservedPaths' and also tried adding the <location> tag (bottom of page) but with no luck.

Obviously I'm missing the key step in the whole process and hopefully someone can help me. To sum up: I want a simple folder with directory browsing enabled as a subfolder of Umbraco but preferrably not part of Umbraco. Files in the folder are accessible but when visiting the folder a 404 - directory not found message is shown.

Umbraco v 4.7.1.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4393.24044), IIS 7.5

• Andrei 68 posts 130 karma points
    Jan 28, 2015 @ 15:47
    Andrei

Same problem here - did you find a solution?

• Genetai 5 posts 51 karma points
    Jan 28, 2015 @ 16:03
    Genetai

Very old post :) But I don't think that I've ever been able to fix this, usually I also post the solution when I find it myself which was apparently not the case here :). I'm certain that we do no use directory listing now so I probably did not follow through with this and made some other solution.Sorry, can not help you.

You'll probably end up just writing an Umbraco script that only creates a listing and put that in an empty template but that kinda goes past the point of this topic. Best of luck though finding a solution.

• Mohammad Javed 64 posts 373 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 10:53
    Mohammad Javed

Maybe this will help others, i think i may have got it working;

If you want to have a directory NOT handled by Umbraco, try editing your web.config. Under the node, append your folder name to the existing value for umbracoReservedPaths.

Restart the site in IIS and access the directory and that should let you access anything inside the directory.

<configuration>
      <appSettings>
       <add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/,~/MyFolderName/" />
      </appSettings> 
    </configuration>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft