Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• All Blonde 86 posts 138 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 21:10
    All Blonde

how to incorporates NET project (single complex ASPX page with lot of contentplaceholders and backend functionality) into Umbraco?

Can someone give straight forward answer: how to incorporates NET project (single complex ASPX page with lot of contentplaceholders and backend functionality) into Umbraco?

I look through forums and all suggestions end up is: build a control and incorporate into Umbraco via macros.

This is not a valid option for me because it have to be at least 8 controls and dissasembling project will be a waste of time.

And what is worse that later on in Umbraco I will have to assemble and rebuild same app all over again.

So, is there a way to incorporate running web app into umbraco without making it a controls(or banch of controls in my case)?

If I had an Umbraco project(solution) file that would not be an issue - just add my project to Umbraco; but since Umbraco distributed without such of file I need help and I do not think that I am alone struggling with issue similar to this...

Thanks.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 21:20
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi All,

if it is a single aspx-page, then you can add it to your site and tell umbraco not to process that request by adding the path to the aspx to the umbracoReservedUrls in the web.config.

Hope this helps you,

Peter

Jul 17, 2012 @ 21:40
    All Blonde

Thanks for reply but I need that page to use Umbraco master pages since as you know site should look and feel consistent in terms of navigation and all other front-end UI designers things. On top of that all functions propcessing responces from user inputs compiled in DLL. So it should be part of Umbraco.

Jul 17, 2012 @ 22:10
    Peter Dijksterhuis

In that case, I see no other option then to convert it into usercontrols.

But, having said that, I am no masterpages-guru, so maybe there is someone else that knows if you could have your page inherit from the umbraco masterpages.

Peter

Jul 17, 2012 @ 22:51
    All Blonde

Umbraco Master page gurus, AYYYYYYYYYY.

Anybody home?

Jul 17, 2012 @ 23:06
    All Blonde

By the way Peter, how I can tell Umbraco not to process my page.

I think I can put header and footer into separate files and use it, if Umbraco will allow IIS to render my page.

Jul 17, 2012 @ 23:59
    Peter Dijksterhuis

See my first post: open the web.config in the root of the site and add the file to the umbracoReservedUrls 

Jul 18, 2012 @ 15:21
    All Blonde

I try.

Getting page not found.

I used it with and without "~". Same result.

I am on Umbraco 4.7.1, does this makes any difference?

Jul 18, 2012 @ 15:24
    All Blonde

I try to put into web config:

<add key="umbracoReservedUrls" value=" ~/config/splashes/booting.aspx, ~/install/default.aspx,/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx, /campus-find-your-fit.aspx" />
        <add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco, ~/install/, /images/" />

Result is:

1 without "~":

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: virtualPath

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: virtualPath

2. with"~"-- page not found.

Jul 18, 2012 @ 16:46
    All Blonde

Never mind.

I found problem.

That was a backslash on front of the file name.

I assumed that since file in the root slash is not needed. Turns out tilda and slash both need to be there.

Still, I would prefer more elegant solution and ability to edit those files within CMS once they are part of the site.

Thanks for the help and paitience with me. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft