Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arthur 5 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 04, 2012 @ 19:38
    Arthur

Were do i start from to create a "Personal Page" extension?

Hey,

I’m fairly new to Umbraco development. I have a lot of experience in .NET C# MVC and so on ...
    I want to set up a Personal Pages and i broke it down into several tasks:

1. Manage users and groups (and not allow them to login to the Umbraco management pages) 

• Learn how to manage users in Umbraco (maybe allow for self-registration)
    • Learn how to assign users into groups

2. Modify the master template

• Add a login\ password area
    • Manage login process (if not managed by Umbraco already)
    • Learn how to check if a user is logged in and find out who it is and to which group does he belong
    • Add code to redirect the user to a personal page when a link to the personal page is clicked

3. Management System

• Create all the infrastructure so that the webmaster could add users\ groups an assign users to groups
    • Associate each page (or a set of linked pages) with a certain group

I did understood that there are templates that are used to create al sorts of pages, and there are other Document Types that could be defined so that I could access use them and their properties later to write down my code.. I also saw some users that could be added and managed by branches but I’m not sure that i can prevent them from logging into the management back-office of my Umbraco installation.

My question is where I start. If I had to create this all by myself I would not have any trouble but it's my first project using Umbraco.

1. I would be glad if you could point me to a good source of examples or learning material.
    2. It would be very helpful if you could tell me what to look for to accomplish the task I wrote

• Richard Brookes 34 posts 57 karma points
    Aug 05, 2012 @ 10:17
    Richard Brookes

Hi Arthur,

Maybe I have misunderstood what you are asking for but it seems to me that you are confusing Users with Members

In Umbraco,  Users are the content writers, editors and administrators etc. these users login to the backend "management pages" that you are talking about. 

Members on the other hand are your site users who only see the external, "non-management" pages. From what you describe above I think it is the members that you are after.

Umbraco membership uses the ASP.NET membership provider model so you can create and manage members just as you would in any other ASP.NET site. 

The default membership provider is usually sufficient in most cases so the easiest way to get started is to use the ASP.NET login controls i.e. login, create user wizard, login status etc. You can simply drop these into a template and it will just work.

You should probably start by looking at this page http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers 

I hope this helps to get you started

• Arthur 5 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 05, 2012 @ 12:10
    Arthur

Thank you for pointing it out... it actually helped me alot .. 

what about the source code for the Umbraco system do i need it for this task or would this be implemented by using my ount user control in a template .. ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft