Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 21:11
    Tom Maton

Members - Built in Umbraco or ASP.NET membership

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a site and import everything over, at present there are 13,000 members which is growing every day I'm just wondering what would be best to use in peoples opinion.

I was just going to use the umbraco builtin functionality and create custom fields for each type which we can thn pull through in their profile when they login.

And as for logging in again would I be better off using the Umbraco built in functionality or ASP.NET Membership?

Thanks,

Tom

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 23:35
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Tom,

What I tend to do is using a mix of the two (although lots of the built in Umbraco member methods and properties are deprecated): for login/logout and membergroups (ASP.NET Membership Roles) I use the regular ASP.NET Membership functionality. For accessing properties on a member in Umbraco I'm just using member.getProperty("MyProperty").Value since I find it easier than to register every property in the web.config for reading/writing from/to it with the ASP.NET Membership functionality.

Also, 13k members is quite a bunch, so I'd advice you to use XPath (uComponents package has got some great uQuery extensions for this!) or Examine for iterating and/or searching to increase performance.

Hope that helps any :-)

All the best,

Bo

• Richard Brookes 34 posts 57 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 23:37
    Richard Brookes

Hi Tom,

The umbraco built in functionality is ASP.NET membership. So if you have a membership and profile database and existing membership and profile providers you can simply swap in those providers and access your existing member store.

cheers

Aug 10, 2012 @ 00:17
    Tom Maton

Bo: Thats what I was thinking regards to the bits of both just seems easier that way. But wasn't sure if it was generally best practice. I'll take a look at Lucene as used that before searches but not for members. Thanks for the advice.

Richard: yes your correct, I completely forgot about this. Havent really used umbraco in a year so, especially members, just clearing out all the cobwebs.

Thanks guys,

Tom

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 00:33
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi again Tom,

I think it comes down to what's easiest and what's the most pure way of handling members :-) When you mention 'best practice' when it comes to working with members in Umbraco, every purist will tell you to go all out on the regular ASP.NET Membership functionality, but at the end of the day, it's just easier (at least in my opinion) to access properties on a member from the Member object.

- Bo

Aug 13, 2012 @ 23:49
    Tom Maton

Hi Bo,

Not sure if i'm being a bit thick here, but to use the standadrd asp.net membership with the Umbraco members would i need to do this (you can tell i've not used it for a while)?

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/7186-Integrating-ASPNET-Membership#comment26280

Thanks,

Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft