Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hannes Rahm 28 posts 47 karma points
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 17:01
    Hannes Rahm

Booking system for rental products

Hello!

Does anyone know of a good package or a third party system that can handle booking of rental products?

A customer of mine that provides a rental service to his customers wants a web-based workflow for this

Customer selects an item, a time frame for rental and the system should manage booking it and making sure noone else can book that item in that time frame.

Worst case scenario I'll build it myself, maybe you have some insights on how to make that process as easy as possible.

Thanks!
    /Hannes

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 17:28
    Dan

Hi Hannes,

I don't know of any fully integrated e-commerce/calendar booking systems built on Umbraco but I do know that the common e-commerce packages (uCommerce, TeaCommerce and uWebshop) handle post-transaction callbacks, so in theory it should be possible to extend one of those systems to handle your transactions but build the availability functionality yourself.  I'd imagine it could be a fairly complex thing to develop though, so may be worth looking around for entirely non-umbraco solutions or third-party systems in case there are any 'quick wins' out there; the native Umbraco packages probably won't do this for you out of the box.

Aug 22, 2012 @ 08:52
    Hannes Rahm

Thanks for your input!

The site is built on teacommerce so that part is no problem.

My own search for third party services has come up quite empty. There are a few, but none of them fit.
    Maybe I've missed something... 

One thing is that it has to be in swedish.

/Hannes

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Aug 22, 2012 @ 09:51
    Dan

Hi Hannes,

Last time I looked (which was a good few years ago, admittedly) calendar-based booking systems were thin on the ground on the .NET platform anyway (plenty of PHP ones typically!).  A quick search now yeilds few results stilll.  I know it's a commercial package but perhaps uCalendar might help - maybe Daniel would be able open to extending it for e-commerce integration?  Just an idea, but it might be worth contacting the package authors to see if they're interested in sponsored extension of their products?  I notice dotnetnuke has modules for this and kentico has something similar, so there's clearly some kind of market for it.

Aug 22, 2012 @ 10:06
    Hannes Rahm

uCalendar might give me some kind of head start.

However, their site, ucalendar.net, is not reachable and latest version says beta.

Not sure how much I want to invest in building on that.

If there are no good umbraco packages maybe this is an untapped market and maybe I should make it and sell it... If so, building on uCalendar might not be the best idea.

I'll give it a "think" :)

/Hannes

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft