Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shannon 24 posts 45 karma points
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 04:51
    Shannon

DocumentType classes in c#

I am relativly new to umbraco, been developing sites for about a year since 4.7.0.

I am currently working a fairly complicated project and wanted to create classes for different document types (eg LINQ to Umbraco) although I have never used linq to umbraco I see its being deprecated so was not going to start a new project with it. 

The reason I want to bring it into code is to add extra functions to the classes to help manage everything, I know I can use extension methods to 'extend' the Node element but this looks like it could get quite messy if adding lots of extra functions.

What are the best practises for bring umbraco document types into code?

• Carsten Fallesen 35 posts 154 karma points
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:46
    Carsten Fallesen

Hi Shannon

I use uSiteBuilder for all my umbraco projects. It gives you the possibility to create your document types code first and afterwards work with them as strongly typed objects in C# and Razor scripts.

/Carsten

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:51
    Ismail Mayat

Shannon,

The linq2umbraco project has recently been updated see http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/linqtoumbraco-revisited and as suggested by Carsten there is also uSiteBuilder

Sep 19, 2012 @ 08:52
    Shannon

I am reluctant to use linqtoumbraco - it was removed for a reason.

I have seen uSiteBuilder before but don't know how much it strays away from tradional umbraco. How hard is it to umbraco a site that uses uSiteBuilder e.g from 4.7.1 to 4.8.0

• Carsten Fallesen 35 posts 154 karma points
    Sep 19, 2012 @ 09:03
    Carsten Fallesen

I have never had any issues upgrading a site that was using uSiteBuilder.

Maybe this blogpost can give you a bit more information on the pros and cons of uSiteBuilder.

Sep 20, 2012 @ 02:10
    Shannon

Thanks for the info

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft