Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin John 8 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 16:19
    Kevin John

Best practice for new Sections and Trees for business items?

Hi

I am new to Umbraco and would like to create a new Section in the back-end that would have a Tree with folders that list business items such as 'colour' and 'size' for a 'widget'. We want to keep this separate from the 'Content' Section, which would be for the creation of actual 'widget' pages and other pages.

I have subscribed and looked at the Umbraco videos for this, but this involves the direct creation of new tables and rows etc in the Umbraco database for business items and sections - on first impression this seems messy as, for setup reasons, we'd prefer not to interact directly with the database - which is partly why we're looking at a CMS :)  In addition to some searches I also looked at the 'Extending Umbraco' section in 'Documentation' on this site -  but nothing has been written yet.

Ideally this is what we'd like to do:

1) Create a new Section called 'Business Items' in the bottom left hand panel of the back-end.

2) Create a Tree in this new Section that has 'colour' and 'size' folders. 

3) Create document types for 'colour' and 'size' so that our client can create new items for these.

4) In the Content Section we want the client to be able to create a new 'widget ' page. They would enter a name and description for the widget - and then choose the available colours and sizes (from the new items above) for that widget from a checkbox list.

My queries:

1) Do we have to create a new 'data type' to list these business items, so that it is then included in the 'widget' document type?

2) I have tried creating  a new data type using 'Checkbox List' - but I can not see how I populate it from a Tree node e.g. to list 'colour' items from a Tree node.  I also looked at the Ultimate Picker which allowed me to choose a node to populate -  and use a checkbox list.  Going forward, is there a reason why I should choose the 'Checkbox List' over the 'Ultimate Picker'?  Does the 'Checkbox List' offer more long term flexibility, but the 'Ultimate Picker' is a quick fix?  How do you populate the Checkbox List?

3) Is there a project/plugin that allows us to create new Sections and Trees for business items etc. in the back-end of Umbraco?   I would prefer to create document types in Umbraco for business items - rather than messing with the database and creating new tables for business items as in the videos? I have looked but not found a project yet :)

Any help for best practice and advice would be much appreciated, as we'd really like to go forward with Umbraco.  Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft