Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Farrow 22 posts 42 karma points
    Oct 27, 2012 @ 17:31
    Sean Farrow

Verifying members after registration

Hi:

I'm in the process of implementing a social network using Umbraco, I am trying to sort he registration out.

What the client would like is when a user registers a link is sent to them, in order to activate thee account they have to click on the link. Has anyone done this, or is this in the core/available in a package?

Any help apreciated.

Regards

Sean.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2012 @ 01:07
    Tom Fulton

Hi Sean,

Check out this blog series (4 parts) which walks through exactly how to do this :)  

http://umbraco.miketaylor.eu/2010/08/29/authenticating-new-members/

Let us know how you get on

-Tom

• Sean Farrow 22 posts 42 karma points
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 17:30
    Sean Farrow

Hi:

That seems like it's going to do the trick.

Does anyone know whether there's a way of creating a member type programmatically. I'm visually impaired and current carn't see the inerface.

I realise Umbraco has an api, and wondered whether I could do this without too much trouble.

Any help apreciated.

Cheers

Sean

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 17:39
    Grant Thomas

Sean, Umbraco uses (by default) the ASP.NET Membership API, meaning you can do something like this:

Membership.CreateUser("UserName@DomainName", "P@ssw0rd", "userName@emailAddress"); 

Adn that will create you a user; I've had trouble from that point regarding profiles but got around that by just extending the database with my own tables and referencing the member identifier (ProviderUserKey) as a PK or soft reference.

See this dated but relevant MSDN article.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 30, 2012 @ 15:15
    Tom Fulton

Hi Sean,

To create a Member Type via the API you can use this code:

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.MemberType.MakeNew(umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetCurrent(), "Name of Member Type");

@Grant, I've found great success using this method to handle Profiles:  http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles

Hope this helps,
    Tom 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft