Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Farrow 22 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 01, 2012 @ 21:30
    Sean Farrow

Schedule code to run that doesn't require an aspx page

Hi:

Is there a way in Umbraco to schedule a piece of code to run say every 5 minutes with out requiring the specific piece of code to be embedded in a page.

The schedule option in the config file seems to require an aspx page/code behind.

Any help apreciated.

Cheers

Sean.

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2012 @ 09:23
    Stephen

Not at the moment. But there are plans (?) to refactor the scheduler, and that could be a valuable addition to it.

• Sean Farrow 22 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 11:23
    Sean Farrow

Hi:

Are there any UTrack issues pertaining to this?

Cheers

Sean.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 12:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Would'nt it be possible to simply point the scheduler to a service? (.asmx) file? Or does that count as a page in this context? (I'm not really a .NET dev :)).

/Jan

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 17:10
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

I'm always creating a Generic Handler (.ashx) and set the scheduler to call that.

Jan's suggestion works aswell, but I think a generic handler makes a bit more sense since it will always be a 1-1 task that needs to be performed from the scheduler whereas a webservice can have several methods. I'm not saying that a webservice is wrong, though :-) It works just aswell.

Often times, I'm just using the generic handler as a higher level of abstraction and move all logic to a lower level in the architecture, depending on the size of the project/website.

Don't know if the above makes any sense, if not, please let me know and I'll try to elaborate :-)

All the best,

Bo

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 18:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Oh yes, .ashx file was also what I meant in my previous post #h5is ;-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft