Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danny Douglass 28 posts 43 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 16:01
    Danny Douglass

Umbraco Solution Setup - Extracting Configuration Files

Greetings,

I have successfully setup my project as described here - http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/working-in-visual-studio-when-developing-umbraco-solutions.  Currently I have abstracted the following directories to my web application project (and am copying over using XCopy):

• bin
    • css
    • masterpages
    • scripts
    • usercontrols
    • xslt
    Is there any reason why I couldn't do the same for my web.config and /config directories?

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 16:12
    Chris Koiak

You can take the same approach for your /config/ files.

However, if you take the web.config from Umbraco and try and use it in this approach VS will complain about a number of issues.

I usually create a web.xml file in VS but then change it (using xcopy) when it gets copied to web.config. THis allows you to have the web.config in source control, albeit under a different name.

• Richard Soeteman 4036 posts 12863 karma points MVP
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 16:13
    Richard Soeteman

You can, but does it make sense? You store the custom functionality in your webapplication project. And copy that over the default umbraco website. In this case the custom functionality and default website is completely seperated. Config files are sometimes related to the Umbraco version So when you upgrade your website to a new version and after that the config files are copied from your webapplication to the website your site stops working. So I would keep them seperate.

Cheers,

Richard

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 16:15
    Chris Koiak

Usually with an Umbraco project I will install my own xslt extensions. I like to keep the config file in source control.

Maybe only keep the files you've changed in source control and leave everything else in the standard umbraco directories.

• Danny Douglass 28 posts 43 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 19:31
    Danny Douglass

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I see value in both approaches.  I think we will probably move the Umbraco-related configuration files into the web application for source control and manage the web.config in the Umbraco website itself.

Cheers,
    --
    Danny

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft