Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Roberts 47 posts 516 karma points c-trib
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 15:10
    Stephen Roberts

Custom Content Picker

Hey!,

I want to render a tree in a dialog box in the backoffice like this it is used to move a content to a 'Shared Content' area of the site (as it is a multi-lingual site):

however I want the tree to only render "Shared Content" not the notes above this. This tree is being rendered by the Umbraco TreeControl usercontrol, and when I set the start node property, nothing changes.

Any Ideas?

Tl;DR: How to render a content tree picker in the backend with a startNode set?

Thanks!

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 15:44
    Jeroen Breuer

Have a look at this issue for some improvements: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-192. Don't think a start node can be used yet. For now I use MNTP for that: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/umbraco-5-general-discussion/28363-Umbraco-5-MNTP-features#comment107718

Jeroen

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 15:57
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Stephen,

MNTP uses a custom tree control called FilteredContentTree (there's also a Media one if you're interested).  Depending which version of Umbraco you are using (e.g. v4.8+) then this is now in the Umbraco core, otherwise for older versions, you can use uComponents (v3.x, v4.x).

The FilteredContentTree control is inside the 'umbraco.editorControls.MultiNodeTreePicker' namespace.  From what I recall you will need to use the "umbraco.controls.Tree.CustomTreeControl" to render it.

Keep in mind that I didn't develop MNTP... just a lot of hacking around with it.  So feel free to ask any questions, just can't guarantee any answers. ;-)

Cheers, Lee.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 15:59
    Lee Kelleher

Forgot to add... to see how MNTP does this, check the source for the constructor in "umbraco.editorControls.MultiNodeTreePicker.MNTP_DataEditor".

Nov 15, 2012 @ 16:31
    Stephen Roberts

Cheers guys! however I Cannot figure out how to set the StartNodeID

var contentTree = TreeDefinitionCollection.Instance.Single(x => x.Tree.Alias.ToUpper() == "CONTENT");

var filteredContentTree = new TreeDefinition(typeof(FilteredContentTree),
                                                                 new umbraco.BusinessLogic.ApplicationTree(true, false, 0,
                                                                           contentTree.Tree.ApplicationAlias,
                                                                           "FilteredContentTree",
                                                                           contentTree.Tree.Title,
                                                                           contentTree.Tree.IconClosed,
                                                                           contentTree.Tree.IconOpened,
                                                                           "umbraco.editorControls",
                                                                           "MultiNodeTreePicker.FilteredContentTree",
                                                                           contentTree.Tree.Action),
                                                                 contentTree.App);

TreeDefinitionCollection.Instance.Add(filteredContentTree);
                    CustomTreeControl treeControl  = new CustomTreeControl
                    {
                        ID = "TreePicker",
                        IsDialog = true,
                        ShowContextMenu = false,
                        DialogMode = TreeDialogModes.id,
                        Height = 300,
                        StartNodeID = 1220,
                        TreeType = "FilteredContentTree"

};

TreeContainer.Controls.Add(treeControl);

but it isnt obeying the startNodeId >.< it still renders from the Root node :(

Hopefully i'm missing something really stupid and its a simple fix :(

Any ideas?

Love you all..

Nov 15, 2012 @ 16:38
    Jeroen Breuer

For DAMP I also set the start node of the media tree and copied that from how it works in MNTP. I don't know exactly what I did, but I remember it did give me a little trouble. Think it's best to look for "StartNode" in the source of MNTP and see in what places it all is used. Also had some javascript involved.

Jeroen

Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:25
    Stephen Roberts

Thanks guys, I got it working with an extension of FilteredContentTree

<3

Nov 17, 2012 @ 00:03
    Jeroen Breuer

Sounds like a good package ;-). 

Jeroen

• Dan White 206 posts 510 karma points c-trib
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 00:40
    Dan White

@Stephen

I'm currently to to accomplish the same thing and having some trouble. Would you mind sharing your source?

Thanks!

Mar 04, 2013 @ 10:52
    Stephen Roberts

@Dan & everyone, I did write this into a blog post, albeit I forgot to publish the thing.

http://offroadcode.com/blog/2013/3/4/hacking-the-umbraco-content-tree-picker-to-hide-content-to-make-it-easier-for-editors/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft