Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Dolman 22 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 12:28
    Robert Dolman

Protecting public access using custom node properties

Hi,

I would like to be able to protect individual pages with individual passwords (no username) or allow access through our custom security module.

I'm thinking of writing a module to 'override' the native Public Access dialog and write my own interface to allow user to define these settings. The only thing I'm struggling with is where/how to store the password/user access list data. Forum posts suggest storing custom data in tables within the umbraco database, or in another database. My problem with this is that it doesn't benefit from the in-built Umbraco caching.

For every page access page I would need to check against the database; firstly, whether the page has protection defined and secondly, who has access. Should I be implementing my own cache for this data or is there a data structure provided by the Umbraco API that I can take advantage of?

Thanks

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 07, 2012 @ 12:33
    Tim

Hmmm, I'm not sure there's something built in that you can get to for the caching, but it should be pretty easy to write your own caching stuff to cache your data to check against. We've done that previously with custom database table data to minimise database use on the front end.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft