Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Johnston 59 posts 111 karma points
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 08:09
    Mark Johnston

umbracoDebugMode is not the same as debug

I have a piece of code (SquishIt) that relies on the true/false setting of <compilation debug="true" /> the Umbraco Web.config does not have this value set but instead any discussions seems to direct people to chnage the setting of <add key="umbracoDebugMode" value="true" /> to either true or false to "do the same thing".

For SquishIt this does not seem to work as when I set the umbracoDebugMode to true SquishIt still reacts as if <compilation debug="false" />

I want to try to keep the Web.config as axpected and not att the debug attribute to the compilation noe but I can't see how I can do this and achieve what Iwant.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 16:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Why does this code require debugging to be enabled? That sounds a bit odd to me - You can read why enabling debugging in the web.config can be a bad thing here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/621572/debug-true-in-web-config-bad-thing

However to enable it you should simply add debug="true" in the <compilation> section of the web.config file I guess.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Mark Johnston 59 posts 111 karma points
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 00:41
    Mark Johnston

Hey Jan,

It's only a bad thing for a production system. For develpoment it is perfectly valid. SquishIt uses it as a trigger to switch between leaving CSS/LESS and JS files alone and writing out each file untouched and an entry in the DOM whereas setting it to debug="false" will concatinate and minify the files that have been specified as part of the bundle. A good run down of how SquishIt works can be found here. I noticed this is one of the issues that the GoLive functionality is supposed to solve, so if people are directed to use that feature as part of the deployment of a production project that it should actually exist in the web.config?

Mark J

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft