Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 38 posts 88 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 13:11
    Johan

Login issue when building applications in Umbraco?

Login issue when building applications in Umbraco? We want to create applications in Umbraco and are not sure if the umbraco login through  www.mysite.se/umbraco/ is the right way to go. We are thinking about an application login that is not redirecting user to the umbraco admin interface but stays on the webpage in normal user manner but gives the user a table printout or something. I am converting dotnetnuke applications to umbraco

What do you recommend:

1) Use umbraco normal login and convert the application to exist inside umbraco admin interface or

2) create a new layer of login that will make user stay on the webpage interface and have the application outside of the umbraco admin interface and architecture or

3) Something else?

Is there anybody who has done this layer of login outside of umbraco admin interface and to what success? Would you do it again or would you next time stay inside umbraco admin layer and its interface?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 16:16
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Johan,

In Umbraco there is a difference between front-end users (members in umbraco) and Umbraco users (users in Umbraco)

Users will login to the back-end and will maintain content.

I think you are after members since they will login to your website/application. With Members you can use the normal asp.net Login controls.

Is this what you are after?

Cheers,

Richard

Jan 30, 2013 @ 18:16
    Johan

exactly I am looking for adapting an application with front end users. Is this already in place with different userrights levels as well?

Jan 30, 2013 @ 18:20
    Johan

Ah there is a completly different section for members and in my installation it is empty as well. I have to define my members and the different groups they should be able to belong to ...great I'll get going

Jan 30, 2013 @ 18:25
    Johan

When you build different types of applications it is primarily members section you should use then? User section is only to administer the various applications settings if I understood it right

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 18:48
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Johan

Yes you are correct.

The user section is for logins that access the admin area via www.mysite.se/umbraco/

So, yes, you should bo looking to utilise the members area for "front end" application access and developing member groups for differing levels of access.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/members.aspx provides videos on the membership setup although you will need a subscription to view the full videos.

Cheers, Nigel 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft